Heritage Owners Club

gold plate on seth lovers wearing off within days

snacker

hey gang,

i recently received my long awaited custom ordered H576 and after one gig, 1/3 of the gold on one of the seth lovers had worn off - after the second gig, the rest of the gold on the pickup was really tarnished and won't shine back up - the other pickup and the rest of the hardware is fine - any of you run into similar problems? - i have pretty acidic sweat that eats through string quickly, but gold plating.......i don't think it's that acidic

Man, your just nasty.  ;D

I have had a bit of worry with a couple of, used, corroded Seth pup covers this week.  Nobody in town had any new covers in stock and Stew Mac are back ordered so I just took the covers off.  Just to get the cover off I had to get a 180W solder gun.  I was weaned on delicate irons, say 50W tops.  I was afraid I would ruin the pickup. 

Last night my buddies gave me so much shit for not having covers on the Seth's that I swore I would never put covers on them.  I told them that they could buy the covers and pay to have them installed or go $&#@ themselves.  To add insult to injury I cut my arm on a door facing and they called me, "Gash." (Slash - good shot on their part, bastards.) 

Sorry about the rant, play the guitar until the covers are shot and have somebody take them off for you or replace them.  I'll bet Ren will send you a couple just to keep the guitar from coming back to Kzoo.  The work should be priced about half as shipping it to and from the factory. 

Did I miss photos of this new guitar? 

One of my buddy's sweat kills guitars.  His mom is German so we call it, "German Funk."

Must have been a problem during the plating. I've had my Seths for about a year, and they still look good as new.

The plating on my LP is slowly wearing off, but then its about 20 years old!

Pretty obvious, I'm sure know this, but gently wipe the gold off between sets & after the gig. It will slowly wear off but not for decades if you wipe her down.

cool - i'll give ren a shout and ask him about it - i've attached a pic of 'er before i seat on it and wore off the gold

Nice looking box Snack.  After seeing it I think you really should just send it down here for a few weeks and let me play look at it. 

I don't thing the plating was done right.  You should be able to hang those covers up in a meth lab and get more mileage out of them. 

My experience-be it guitars, guns, etc- with gold plating is that it is somewhat "fragile" and prone to quick wear.  I have gotten to point  where I will only get "gold" if the the primary intent is "eye candy" with only occasional use.  Saves me the aggravation of seeing the wear and paying for the repair.....

JMHO

Jim C

Archived