Heritage Owners Club

Question..

smurph1

I have always been confused by the term "tweed" when it comes to amps.. My old Gibson GA-8..(1959) is a tweed color, does that mean it's a tweed amp? Or is "tweed amp" pretty much reserved for Fenders? Thanks Scott

It has to do more with the era. Most pre-60s, Gibsons included, are considered to be Tweed "Era" amps. Since that was Fender's covering of choice at the time. It was after 1959 that the amp circuits became a bit more complicated. Coverings seemed to change with the mods. But yeah, Scott, your amp could be considered a Tweed Era amp.

I dunno. Here's an opinion. Yeh, your '59 GA-8 would be considered a tweed amp. Tweed and then brown/black/sliver face referring to cosmetic in name, but intended I think more for common circuit grouping. Can't recall the name of the late 40's amps prior to tweed?... No matter. While the naming convention of covering and circuits kinda aligned to fender, the gibson line especially in that tweed era had some common ground/sounds.

I've a predecessor to yours, a '52 Gibsonette that might fall into that pre-tweed designation I can't recall the name of. Don't gig with it much other than bring it to Sat morn jam occasionally. A 'one trick' sound that with the 525 especially just brings you to that early 50s 'jump swing/rock'nroll vibe. It's in remarkable condition with most all original parts including the Jensen field coil speaker. And it just looks cool.

hocjac3.jpg

The designation obviously comes from the covering of the time. Like this 53 Fender.

1953-Fender-Princeton-Tweed-Amplifier-30

My 53 National is definitely a "tweed" amp. Minimalist circuit designs, relatively low powered and usually they break up really easily. They weren't designed to power a rock and roll band. As Randy said, most are a bit of a "one trick pony".

Dan%20at%20pre%20PSP%20V.jpg

Wow, Rich - that amp looks in great shape for 60 years old!

Thanks Randy. Believe it or not, it spent about thirty years in my parent's attic. I had it reworked by Terry Dobbs aka Mr Valco. http://www.valcoamp.com/ He had to replace the handle, caps and a couple of tubes. The speaker was still in good shape, and the tweed is in great shape.

I had it at PSP 2 years ago. Unfortunately, it couldn't keep up with the Plexis and Soldanos!

Archived