Heritage Owners Club

Amps: Are all the tone controls needed really?

MartyGrass

I personally prefer TMB controls. It never became so clear to me as when I got my latest amp the Fender SS 100, which not only has TMB controls on the vintage channel, but also on the dirt channel with the addition of the 'notch tune' control for the midrange which effectively turns the midrange control into a para EQ allowing you to choose the mid frequency you wish to cut/boost. It's FAR more versatile then a simple TB setup and WAAAY more versatile then a simple one knob tone control.

I'm partial to simple amps. One tone knob is fine. But I'll take separate treble, mid, and bass. One volume control is all that I need. But I won't turn down a great amp with a master volume. Reverb is the only effect that I want on my amps. And that's optional. Most of my current amps don't have reverb and I'm fine with that. I don't want DSP, 10 effects, or any of that BS. My favorite amp is my 5E3. I might use a fuzz box with it. But that's about it. So that should tell you something.

You don't miss the Mid's control? I've often thought having a Mids on my '57 Super clone would be a great addition. I know the T/B crosses over those frequencies. And it can sort of control the mids. But not as much as I'd like. The T/B on the Mesa Transatlantic, on the other hand, handles the crossover T/B just fine. Hmmm, maybe it's just me. :dontknow:

Lower the T & B knobs the corresponding amount and you increase the mids. So yea, a mid knob is just another knob I don't need to mess with really.

Guest HRB853370

He's still here and posts occasionally. A recent addition to his family is taking up his previous wealth of spare time :)

You are talking about his new Jeep right?

Simple is good for sure!

That said, I like to have B/M/T controls. I find that different venues, conditions, different guitars, different styles, often require some tone adjustments. I play in a venue where from one week to the next I've got to make some adjustment to stay right in the mix and maintain a warm tone.

Archived