Heritage Owners Club

Tube Screamer

koula901

They work best with Fender BF circuits which have scooped mids. I have these three, all are good but if I had to recommend one, it would be the Maxon OD-820. It has a wet/dry mix and is a bit more dynamic than the Analogman Silver or Ibanez.

tubescreamers.jpg

They work best with Fender BF circuits which have scooped mids.

I agree completely. A Tube Sreamer won't work with an amp with a lot of mids, like say a tweed amp.... Straight to mud.

I agree completely. A Tube Sreamer won't work with an amp with a lot of mids, like say a tweed amp.... Straight to mud.

that's a good point. From what I've read, tube screamer-type pedals provide a mid boost, and if your tweed amp already does that, then, I imagine you wouldn't need a TS with tweed.

that's a good point. From what I've read, tube screamer-type pedals provide a mid boost, and if your tweed amp already does that, then, I imagine you wouldn't need a TS with tweed.

Correct. That's why the TS808 sounds great with some amps and the TS9 sounds better with other amps...and the Rat pedal sounds great with others...etc., etc....

It's all a matter of matching the amp tone with the right overdrive pedal. That's why guitar players have so many darned dirt pedals lying around!!!

Correct. That's why the TS808 sounds great with some amps and the TS9 sounds better with other amps...and the Rat pedal sounds great with others...etc., etc....

It's all a matter of matching the amp tone with the right overdrive pedal. That's why guitar players have so many darned dirt pedals lying around!!!

Ah! Now I am seeing the light! :)

With all due respect that's a load of crap. Tubescreamers sound effin' great going into a tube amp. Find yourself a good old Fender amp (or just about any decent sounding tube amp), set it just at the edge of breakup, now hit the front end hard with a Tubescreamer - you'll know why so many players like 'em and so many pedals are based off of them. They sound great into clean amps as well or for pushing high gain amps into melt down. The Tubescreamer sounds great into tube amps.

This sounds accurate and like it's good advice. The only problem I have is, if I'm setting the amp at the edge of breakup, then I think it's going to be awfully LOUD. Then when I hit the Tube Screamer, it's hitting the pre-amp tubes right?

I suppose then, for playing in the house, I could use my volume pedal to reduce the volume level, without making the crunch go away.

A TS-808 and a TS-9 sound incredibly similar and both are best used with BF amps. With a Tweed or Marshall, I recommend using a more neutral EQ'd OD like one of these:

MenatoneRedSnapper.jpg

RockettBlueNoteOD.jpg

PaulCTim.jpg

okay. that looks like good advice.

This sounds accurate and like it's good advice. The only problem I have is, if I'm setting the amp at the edge of breakup, then I think it's going to be awfully LOUD. Then when I hit the Tube Screamer, it's hitting the pre-amp tubes right?

I suppose then, for playing in the house, I could use my volume pedal to reduce the volume level, without making the crunch go away.

In my opinion, you don't have to have the amp "at the point of breakup". Just set the volume on the amp to a nice big clean tone and let the pedal do it's work. You will get lovely crunch tones at modest volumes.

Archived