Heritage Owners Club

Victory/Liberty Mix/Match

OK, so I'm a self-admitted Heritage Amp hootchie!

At least I'm in love with a great amp product.

After recently scoring a used Victory head/cab rig, I couldn't find the usual 'sweet spot' like I did with the Patriot and Liberty amps. The Victory is a dark sounding amp, with very strong bass. So much so that I had to lower the bass pot down to less than 10%...just a touch was enough. The speaker is a single Celestion G12H30 Anniversary inside of a partially closed/open back cab.

Next was to see how the Victory head sounded connecting it to the Liberty's twin Jensen loaded speaker cab. Whoa baby! That's what I'm talking about! Nicely balanced highs, mids and lows! It's as if that head was meant for a dual speaker setup.

I did the same with the Liberty, connecting the single Celestion to it, and it sounded amazing. That head sounds amazing with every speaker I've ever connected it to. (Celestion V30, Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow, Weber, Tone Tubby, etc.)

Maybe that's why the original seller dumped the overly dark sounding Victory in the first place. I'll never know. But from now on, the Victory head will be resting on top of the Liberty's dual Jensen cab!!!

Here's a photo of them before the head/cab swap...

post-8-0-09739200-1398110288_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-98586600-1398110307_thumb.jpg

have you checked the bias, too? (altho, if it sounds great with other cabs, that might not matter)

i forget offhand what the target milliamp range is, but...

it's not unusual for me to crank the brightness on any single-tone knob tweed (love 'em) or crank down the bass control on a blackface (dis-love 'em) :)

you can always call & talk to PaulC or Peter Mather, too. they're "friendly spirits" :icon_rendeer:

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Victory combo with the G12h. It also has a very pronounced bottom end. These speakers are known for this, but I believe that the combination of the amp and speaker bring the bottom out even more. If you fiddle a bunch with the EQ (which actually is amazing how well it works) you can get some fantastic sounds. I'm glad to know about your experiment with the Jensen cab. Which Jensens are you running?

OK, so I'm a self-admitted Heritage Amp hootchie!

At least I'm in love with a great amp product.

After recently scoring a used Victory head/cab rig, I couldn't find the usual 'sweet spot' like I did with the Patriot and Liberty amps. The Victory is a dark sounding amp, with very strong bass. So much so that I had to lower the bass pot down to less than 10%...just a touch was enough. The speaker is a single Celestion G12H30 Anniversary inside of a partially closed/open back cab.

Next was to see how the Victory head sounded connecting it to the Liberty's twin Jensen loaded speaker cab. Whoa baby! That's what I'm talking about! Nicely balanced highs, mids and lows! It's as if that head was meant for a dual speaker setup.

I did the same with the Liberty, connecting the single Celestion to it, and it sounded amazing. That head sounds amazing with every speaker I've ever connected it to. (Celestion V30, Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow, Weber, Tone Tubby, etc.)

Maybe that's why the original seller dumped the overly dark sounding Victory in the first place. I'll never know. But from now on, the Victory head will be resting on top of the Liberty's dual Jensen cab!!!

Here's a photo of them before the head/cab swap...

Sounds amazing. I had the same experience with my Victory. Had to dial the bass way back or it was overwhelming, but yes that sweet spot is there to be found, and once you do...

The sweet spot in this amp is definitely found after much knob twisting. Mostly, I had to dial OUT much of the lower frequencies and gradually dial IN more highs with a touch of mids at about 1 o'clock. All Heritage amps I've played sound best with the mids dialed in at about 1 o'clock. Interesting.

As suggested by RJSanders (THANK YOU!), I also removed the smaller of the two rear panels on the speaker cab...and the tonal sweetness improved, while the overly heavy bass frequencies shrunk!! It still is a dark amp, but that thump is fantastic when controlled. The bias is perfect as is.

Now the original Victory speaker cab is back under the Victory head. Woo Hoo!!

What a great sounding 22 watt amp!

Archived