Heritage Owners Club

Question about the Volume and Tone Pot Resistance - H-150

seizethedave

Hey Guys,

I just replaced my SD 59's with Bill Lawrence L-80s.  I didn't change out the pots at all, I just wired the pups in and started playing.  I looked for the rating on the tone/vol pots already in the guitar but it was either covered with solder or on part of the pot that was not visible.  I wanted to check here first before I tried to pull them out to check.  I'll more than likely have to cut a couple of wires to get them out (it's well wired).

I searched the forum but didn't find much.  One post made mention that the Tone Pots were 250K.

What are the standard pots value that Heritage uses?  My guitar is a 1997 H-150 Deluxe.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave,

I replaced the pots on a 2006 150 (500 V & 250 T) 2007 137 (500V & 250T) and a 2008 155 (500V & 250T) the controls were dated from 1997. Ren told me these were the standard when I asked about the 155 but I was not certain if he was specific to the Millies. One HOC member reported different. Since I was able to call or email Jason Lollar, Becky Lawrence or "service guy" from Seymour Duncan and obtain their recommendations, I was able to either open up or treble tame tones to my taste. This is something I would consider part of a setup. Does the manfacturer choose the electronics based on testing to achieve the best sounds to market the instrument, personal tone quest or use up available stock? What would the pickup designer recommend? Seymour Duncan worked with Edwards to choose the pups on my semi and the SH-2n /Sh-14 sound fantastic. Then we have players that swap pups (and controls?) until they get the sounds they desire. We even see a "cult of the P90" who rather then replace their PAF pups, sell their perfectly wonderfull Heritage guitars to buy the same instrument with Lollars. It takes all kinds... 8)

Thanks for the input.

I've always used 500K pots for Tone and Volume (except in my strat).  Prior to putting the L-80's in I had a Bill Lawrence 500XL in the bridge.  I also have that pup in an Ibanez guitar.  The Heritage seemed a bit more "muffled" or lacking as much bite.  The new L-80s I have in there feel a little weaker than I expected.  Hearing that the Tone pot is 250K explains both of those scenarios.  Looks like it's time to do surgery again :-)  Thanks!

Spectrum,

The "SuperHumbucker" was originally made for a 70's Gibson guitar, the L6S, that was designed specifically to compete with Fender Stratocasters.  Here's an article on his website:

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/L6S.htm

The idea was to create a very versatile pickup that could be wired in numerous ways to give you an all-in-one guitar.  The new L-80 is a redesign of the "SuperHumbucker" he created back then but with added technology and 30 more years of experience under his belt.

All of my guitars have Bill Lawrence pickups in them.  I couldn't see a reason to do anything different with my Heritage  :)  I won't really know how much I like them until I change out the tone pots with 500Ks.  They've got some grit to them, but as I mentioned earlier, they sound held back a little.  The new pots will open them up some more.  I'll be sure to let everyone know what I think about them once they're in.

Archived