Heritage Owners Club

What would you pay for a.....................

slider313

I was recently in a local music store and spotted a beautiful,used,tobacco burst H555.I picked it up and played a few notes and although it needed a neck adjustment it still felt and played good. Upon further inspection I see it has the number "2" on the back of the headstock,under the serial #. A factory second.

What would you pay for this guitar.......?

Just out of curiosity, Slider, could you tell why it was a "2"?  ...and I have no idea about pricing, which would require some degree of detail: type of p'ups; condition; vintage; custom details like top lumber or inlay, etc.  I think Brent, chico, Kuz, and those guys will certainly chime in with definitive info on this....

That #2 is probably going for more than my mint premium wood 555 I have for sale :rolleyes:

Still available for a short time only.

Just out of curiosity, Slider, could you tell why it was a "2"?   ...and I have no idea about pricing, which would require some degree of detail: type of p'ups; condition; vintage; custom details like top lumber or inlay, etc.  I think Brent, chico, Kuz, and those guys will certainly chime in with definitive info on this....

Well...I didn't look it over with a fine tooth comb and I didn't see any immediate flaws in the finish. As for the condition, it was excellent, had premium woods,only a couple of years old and I'm not sure of the brand of pickups. The asking price was way higher than anyone who knows guitars would pay.

Just like Kuz is saying, compare it to the used first quality market.  Its hard to say what its worth because the degree of the flaw will determine the discount to the list price.  You pretty much have to think of how it would be represented if marketed.  Is it brand new - no.  Is it first quality / mint condition - no.  Is it excellent used condition - ?.  Thats about where you'd have to start looking the item over very carefully.  What makes it a 2, obviously someone at the factor said "aw s#!" at some point in the manufacturing of it.  It may still play great, but something is there.  Then after you assess where it stands on the condition scale, compare it to whats out on the market.  If you're just interested in playing it forever, resale isn't a big factor but it can be a good indicator of how much is fair to pay.  In most cases you can play it forever and be perfectly happy with the saved coin.

Good luck!

$1900  ????

Very good guess !!! You win a buy one get one coupon to Pete's Pork Palace !!  >:D  They actually have it up for $1999 and I feel it's way high for a used "2nd".

I think $1300- $1400 would be fair. But that's coming from a guy who just sold a beautiful antique natural one for $1700

• 2 weeks later...

A desperate seller might let it go for $1,200-1300, so you might start there. $2,000 seems a little high, so agree with the poster who said $1,400 would be realistic- maybe extend to $1,600 if you really want it. Have seen new H-555's at shows going for $2,400 or so. Tried one out; dealer did not take much persuading to come down to $2,200. I told her I'd think about it. The guy in back of me offered $1,900, and walked away with it for $1,950, and again , it was new and totally flawless.- Charles 

Archived