Heritage Owners Club

Audio Interface for PC

koula901

Kuz- Katie, all- I should have said my Axe-Fx into Apogee Duet into iMac (Garageband)...very little space is needed-

:icon_thumleft: duly noted. Sounds like a great set up.

I am a "computer-free" recording defector and won't be swayed from this mission!!!!! :)

I use either real amps or the Fractile Axe-Fx modeler straight into a Tascam BR-1600 (16 track recorder). When I use the amps, I put the amp into a closet and mic it there for a pseudo Isolation chamber (I can turn them up with minimal disturbance) and the mic cord goes directly to the Tascam recorder. I usually use my Focal headphones for tracking (although if I am using the Axe-Fx for modeled amps I can play through the monitors and still record) and use my Focal Monitors to mix with because they are dead-flat and I can pickup "real" Eq issues better than mixing with the headphones. After rough cuts I mix them on the Tascam and use the reverb, delay, Chorus (rarely), and the compression that is on the Tascam. I can then burn a CD, save the project on the Tascam hard drive, or save to a thumb drive.

I am sure that the Tascam recorder is not the most perfect pristine recording source, but it is relatively cheap & easy to use. I have recorded a CD of me playing over backing tracks and the sound quality was as good as I ever need it to be (and most said it was great).

I would rather spend the thousands of dollars that it cost for computer software & interfaces on really decent mics. The cost on these recorders has PLUMMETED due to the software recording frenzy. I paid $1200 for my Tascam BR-1600 about 8 years ago and now they have been updated, 32 tracks, hard drive-free version for $500!!!!!!!!!

Break from the Matrix and spend your time playing & recording.... not learning complicated software & tethered to a screen!!!

This has been a public service message from "The American Computer-Free Recording Defectors of America"!!!!

Some older Pictures of my humble recording studio (down stairs in the man cave).....

_DSC6038.jpg

100008116_01xl.jpg

_DSC6041.jpg

_DSC6054.jpg

I still use a Korg D1200mk2 quite often. Its an older unit now but it seems to work alright.

I didnt ever want to use my computer to record but I have started to use it more and more.

I still use a Korg D1200mk2 quite often. Its an older unit now but it seems to work alright.

I didnt ever want to use my computer to record but I have started to use it more and more.

Not familiar with stand alone units, but recording software does a lot more than recording. cubase (and most other daw) offers a number of virtual instruments that can be easily used. Get a csmall midi controller for 200 bucks and on top of the recording device you have also a keybard and a drum machine, not to mention the plethora of effects.

Kuz, if you are using real amps, you might want to check the Mesa boogie cabclone, instead of the closet.

Not familiar with stand alone units, but recording software does a lot more than recording. cubase (and most other daw) offers a number of virtual instruments that can be easily used. Get a csmall midi controller for 200 bucks and on top of the recording device you have also a keybard and a drum machine, not to mention the plethora of effects.

Kuz, if you are using real amps, you might want to check the Mesa boogie cabclone, instead of the closet.

I will check it out, but I like my lo-fi closet isolation chamber!!! :)

Archived