Heritage Owners Club

Audio Interface for PC

koula901

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about getting a beginner Pro Tools software for my PC. To get the music into the computer, I need an audio interface - something to plug in a guitar, mic and maybe a keyboard, I don't know if I need a separate port to plug a drum machine into. I'm at the beginning of this journey so, I know nothing. I just want to use it for the occasional song writing, or getting ideas down, or to be able to upload sound clips to boards like this, or send a clip to a friend in email. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive. What have ya got?

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about getting a beginner Pro Tools software for my PC. To get the music into the computer, I need an audio interface - something to plug in a guitar, mic and maybe a keyboard, I don't know if I need a separate port to plug a drum machine into. I'm at the beginning of this journey so, I know nothing. I just want to use it for the occasional song writing, or getting ideas down, or to be able to upload sound clips to boards like this, or send a clip to a friend in email. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive. What have ya got?

Sounds like you are right where I am with recording. I just bought this...

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B00154KSA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1429711189&sr=1-1&keywords=presonus

Still don't know how to use it...

Sounds like you are right where I am with recording. I just bought this...

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B00154KSA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1429711189&sr=1-1&keywords=presonus

Still don't know how to use it...

that looks like a good suggestion, thanks!

Well, the immediate problem is getting files from a Zoom H1N recorder into the computer. I haven't yet bought the Zoom H1N but intend to. Maybe I can just connect that directly to my PC via USB, and get the file in that way.

... the Zoom H1N. Maybe I can just connect that directly to my PC via USB, and get the file in that way.

This. Zoom does connect via USB and has software that can manipulate your files. Limited, but will get you started. ProTools is a long learning curve...

This. Zoom does connect via USB and has software that can manipulate your files. Limited, but will get you started. ProTools is a long learning curve...

YaY !! Thanks Randy! Made my day.

I used a bunch of different software, but I believe that the best option for a beginner is Cubase Elements. You can try for free for 30 days and it costs only $99 to buy it.

It comes with a plethora of different sounds and it is not very difficult to learn.

I use this interface (had it for a number of years now)

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

I personally like Cakewalk products and I think they have the easiest learning curve. As for interface, the focusrite's recommended above in the lower price segment really are great bang for the buck units. The Zoom H1N as long as it upgraded to the 2.0 software will work as a USB mic and should be recognized by your audio software. Are you a Mac person or Windows? Check out this link for the Zoom. https://youtu.be/XemaBdOKgg8

If you haven't yet bought the H1, I'd suggest paying a bit more and getting the H4n. I have the earlier version (the H4) and while I've only used it for basic stereo live recordings, it has the capability of recording up to four tracks and has built in effects and amp models. You could use it like a 4-track Portastudio (remember them?) except you're recording to an SD card rather than a cassette. It can also function as an interface between instrument and computer (as Randy said).

A good few years ago I remember seeing the great French acoustic guitarist Pierre Bensusan in concert using a Zoom H4 as a reverb unit!

I used a bunch of different software, but I believe that the best option for a beginner is Cubase Elements. You can try for free for 30 days and it costs only $99 to buy it.

It comes with a plethora of different sounds and it is not very difficult to learn.

I use this interface (had it for a number of years now)

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

I hear focusrite scarlett is very good.

I have a cheap little lexicon alpha and I use Audacity. Its not a great set up. Its not a terrible set up if all you want to do is record and store sounds.

I actually think it might be quite a primitive set up. It is definitely a cheap set up.

Mics and methods of monitoring are expensive part.

If you haven't yet bought the H1, I'd suggest paying a bit more and getting the H4n. I have the earlier version (the H4) and while I've only used it for basic stereo live recordings, it has the capability of recording up to four tracks and has built in effects and amp models. You could use it like a 4-track Portastudio (remember them?) except you're recording to an SD card rather than a cassette. It can also function as an interface between instrument and computer (as Randy said).

A good few years ago I remember seeing the great French acoustic guitarist Pierre Bensusan in concert using a Zoom H4 as a reverb unit!

thanks for the suggestion bobmeyrick - I actually own the Zoom H4N, find it too complicated, wanted something as simple as possible so I can quickly get my song ideas recorded before it flies out of my head. I think the H1N will do the trick as you just press record, then upload it. This is probably the best way for me to start as a beginner. As I gather more wherewithall to tackle technically more sophisticated equipment, then I'll go to the Z.H4N.

i use an apogee duet into Garageband- not too bad...

Actually that is a great unit and combo, but she said not too expensive. I tour with the smaller Apogee One and my ipad loaded with Auria, and they work GREAT together. But if on Windows I would go with the RME Babyface, because of the ridiculously stable drivers, and the killer software that comes with it!

I thought Katy had an iPad so I'm wondering why we're not discussing that here.

Actually that is a great unit and combo, but she said not too expensive. I tour with the smaller Apogee One and my ipad loaded with Auria, and they work GREAT together. But if on Windows I would go with the RME Babyface, because of the ridiculously stable drivers, and the killer software that comes with it!

I thought Katy had an iPad so I'm wondering why we're not discussing that here.

Good memory, Rockabilly - I do have an iPad, and the interface to go with it, and Garage band etc. A friend helped me set it up one day, we recorded into Garage band, and we found Garage band a bit tricky - and she's a recording engineer. But not only that - I might have kept struggling to learn it except I don't really have the room for all that stuff - the keyboard, the ipad, the interface etc. as I live in a very tiny space. So, I've decide to try the PC route - the computer's already here, the keyboard etc. I figure with the small H1N, I can just lay down my my song ideas, take out the micro SD card and put that right into the computer, use the H1n as a mic (or my SM 58), and learn a different software other than Garage Band. I've signed up to get a free copy of the new Pro Tools that is soon to be released (my understanding is that it's for beginners) or I could use Audacity. This way, the hardware doesn't take up much physical space, where I don't have it, and I can get something quickly recorded before I lose the ideas.

In the old days, I would just use a casette recorder! Easy breezy! :) But, it's about time I get sound clips into my computer and get started with all this, learn some new concepts and gradually get better at it. Baby steps.

Good memory, Rockabilly - I do have an iPad, and the interface to go with it, and Garage band etc. A friend helped me set it up one day, we recorded into Garage band, and we found Garage band a bit tricky - and she's a recording engineer. But not only that - I might have kept struggling to learn it except I don't really have the room for all that stuff - the keyboard, the ipad, the interface etc. as I live in a very tiny space. So, I've decide to try the PC route - the computer's already here, the keyboard etc. I figure with the small H1N, I can just lay down my my song ideas, take out the micro SD card and put that right into the computer, use the H1n as a mic (or my SM 58), and learn a different software other than Garage Band. I've signed up to get a free copy of the new Pro Tools that is soon to be released (my understanding is that it's for beginners) or I could use Audacity. This way, the hardware doesn't take up much physical space, where I don't have it, and I can get something quickly recorded before I lose the ideas.

In the old days, I would just use a casette recorder! Easy breezy! :) But, it's about time I get sound clips into my computer and get started with all this, learn some new concepts and gradually get better at it. Baby steps.

Katy to be honest, if you are having a hard time learning how to use Garage band you are going to have a harder time learning Pro Tools! And although you're friend may have been an audio engineer, most engineers get used too what they use. When I went to the upper levels of Sonar I found the video classes much easier to learn with step by step. Before you junk the ipad idea, consider going to something like this... http://www.lynda.com/GarageBand-tutorials/learning/106-2.html A PC will be no smaller than your ipad if you have ipad setup correctly. All of my stuff fits into a ridiculously small bag. And if Garage band is really that tough, spend the $29 on Auria for the ipad, which I recommended before, which is TAILORED to the ipad!!! You can then use your PC to edit. There is no easy way to get into computer recording, you have to put the time into learning. Any program that will get the job done has a learning curve, and you need to realize that. I fought this for a long time before dedicating myself to the video courses.

I have a cheap little lexicon alpha and I use Audacity. Its not a great set up. Its not a terrible set up if all you want to do is record and store sounds.

I actually think it might be quite a primitive set up. It is definitely a cheap set up.

Mics and methods of monitoring are expensive part.

I'm right there with you, Jeff. I have the Lambda, and, when I rarely record anything, I use Audacity, as well. Or, I use Garageband with a Peavey Interface into my Ipad. I have M-Audio BX-5a monitors that sound really good. Not pro stuff, but I'm certainly no Pro!! Audacity is free, I saw a used Lexicon Alpha for $40 on Guitarcenter.com, so this is a pretty inexpensive price of admission.

33598861-B2E8-4D79-8449-F9A8093B6463_zps

6DEC7C43-5B34-44B7-A9B7-5F0A432E8EAA_zps

I'm right there with you, Jeff. I have the Lambda, and, when I rarely record anything, I use Audacity, as well. Or, I use Garageband with a Peavey Interface into my Ipad. I have M-Audio BX-5a monitors that sound really good. Not pro stuff, but I'm certainly no Pro!! Audacity is free, I saw a used Lexicon Alpha for $40 on Guitarcenter.com, so this is a pretty inexpensive price of admission.

I like Audacity! And my first decent monitors were the M-Audio BX8s I recorded alot of stuff on them. Use could easily make decent music on that rig.

I am a "computer-free" recording defector and won't be swayed from this mission!!!!! :)

I use either real amps or the Fractile Axe-Fx modeler straight into a Tascam BR-1600 (16 track recorder). When I use the amps, I put the amp into a closet and mic it there for a pseudo Isolation chamber (I can turn them up with minimal disturbance) and the mic cord goes directly to the Tascam recorder. I usually use my Focal headphones for tracking (although if I am using the Axe-Fx for modeled amps I can play through the monitors and still record) and use my Focal Monitors to mix with because they are dead-flat and I can pickup "real" Eq issues better than mixing with the headphones. After rough cuts I mix them on the Tascam and use the reverb, delay, Chorus (rarely), and the compression that is on the Tascam. I can then burn a CD, save the project on the Tascam hard drive, or save to a thumb drive.

I am sure that the Tascam recorder is not the most perfect pristine recording source, but it is relatively cheap & easy to use. I have recorded a CD of me playing over backing tracks and the sound quality was as good as I ever need it to be (and most said it was great).

I would rather spend the thousands of dollars that it cost for computer software & interfaces on really decent mics. The cost on these recorders has PLUMMETED due to the software recording frenzy. I paid $1200 for my Tascam BR-1600 about 8 years ago and now they have been updated, 32 tracks, hard drive-free version for $500!!!!!!!!!

Break from the Matrix and spend your time playing & recording.... not learning complicated software & tethered to a screen!!!

This has been a public service message from "The American Computer-Free Recording Defectors of America"!!!!

Some older Pictures of my humble recording studio (down stairs in the man cave).....

_DSC6038.jpg

100008116_01xl.jpg

_DSC6041.jpg

_DSC6054.jpg

Archived