Heritage Owners Club

Sweet 16

peterbright

I think T-steel is right about the 16" bout being the origin of the model name. A couple years back, when I was heavy into a jazz phase, the Sweet 16 was one of the guitars that was highly recommended by the guys on the jazz guitar Usenet group. In fact, that was really my introduction to the brand, although I had seen 150s hanging at the local mom and pop (but ignored them as 'unknowns').

If you go to the information page and then click on "Custom Carved Hollow Body" under "Guitar Model Information" there is an entry at the bottom of the table for the Sweet 16.

The Heritage web site will give you all the specs.  I've had my 2004 for about 4 months and I love it.  I play a lot of swing style rhythm.  I love the neck and the 25 1/2" scale gives it a little extra crispness.  I'm short and it's very comfortable to play.  I love the floating pickup.  I frequently play it unplugged and it sounds great that way.

Do the Sweet 16s give feedback trouble when played turned up ? Just wondering, as they look real nice.

Since it is solid spruce top, yes it will feedback more than a laminate top. But for jazz players they have dealt with this for years. Amp placement and keeping the "neck end" of the guitar toward the amp vs the "body end" helps. There are also some foam "F hole" inserts that some guy use.

Again for Jazz cats, tone is king. They are playing at lower volumes without distortion/overdrive.

Again for Jazz cats, tone is king. They are playing at lower volumes without distortion/overdrive.

I read this as I sit here listening to Wes Montgomery, playing "Blue Roz (Take 3, Alternate)" from The Complete Riverside Recordings. How appropriate.

Kind of a dumb question here but can they be used for rock'n'roll, ala Scotty Moore ?

Why not?  Is there a rule book I should be aware of?  I have a P-90 Super Eagle and, I guess, should play only "Autumn Leaves" and "...'A' Train" while sitting in a chair, backed by an organ trio...?  One of my major influences in having a Big P-90 box was Jimmy Nolen, late of, among others, Johnny Otis and James Brown.  He used a P-90 ES-5 Switchmaster!  Chink, Chunk, and Funk...or what?  Play what you play, man!

Kind of a dumb question here but can they be used for rock'n'roll, ala Scotty Moore

I play rock on my 575!  And Alex Skolnick plays jazz/metal on his 575!  No rules that I know of; but if there ARE rules, break 'em!

I don't want to p!ss on the party, but I just want to be as accurate as possible.

The Sweet 16 and a 575, or even a 525 (like I have), are completely different voice instruments.

My Sweet 16 will howl like Brent losing an e-bay auction if it just faces the amp at BEDROOM volumes.

My 525 will remain stable at volumes approaching my 555 before it begins to howl.

I'm just stating my thoughts so all opinions are voiced so a HOC member doesn't buy a guitar without reading several points of view, and maybe making the wrong choice.

Good luck,

John

width=318 height=480http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/_DSC1899-Edit2.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/jjkuz/Photo6_8dda1-Original.jpg[/img]

Archived