Heritage Owners Club

Sligo Amps

Actually, I do. My '57 5F4 clone is a Sligo amp. And after I paid a local tech to fix it, I now have a very dandy amp. Whether or not I got a bad one, bad day amp. Can't say. But I can say this, as long as my communication with him was on easy fixes he was very responsive. The moment I mentioned it was blowing fuses like crazy I never heard from him again. The wiring was sloppy, lots of excessive pigtails, wanky solder joints and exhibited an overall lack of attention to detail. Once I had all that fixed I got a really good amp. For me, if I wanted a custom build I'd look elsewhere. But, the 5E3 is a very simple amp build, and he's been building that one a long time. Might be okay with that amp.

Have heard similar stuff on a Sligo build within an amp related forum complete with pics, but have not owned or played with one. I have played through and own an Allen 1/12 early build Accomplice that I picked up for a song a couple months ago on eBay to hold for a buddy out of state until he could pay me. That is one fantastic amp, very well made and great sounding quiet or loud-n-proud even using regular new production tubes.

Yesterday I sent my buddy an eBay auction for a Red Plate Blues Machine 1/12 just like mine for s___s and giggles except for the cab color identical to mine. this one also available for a screaming deal, and he pulled the plastic trigger on that after going to the RP site and listening to some demo clips... Haaaaah!!!!

The Allen sounds so good in a great grab and go package that I don't mind having to hold it for a while longer until he can pay for it. Since I know he's gonna be quite a while now, I'm tempted for a rainy day to yank all the modern tubes and herd follower speaker and shelve them in the basement for him. Then it will get a revoice with some super sounding semi unobtanium secret squirrel vintage tube and speaker rolling. When he pays it off I'll put it back the way it was and ship it...

back to the subject...

You could roll the dice on the Sligo, buying American and likely a great result, but I'd rather suffer some additional financial consequences and get an Allen or one of Mike Marsh's builds from Marsh Amplification, they are likely a better value and build quality, both are known for first rate work, I do own a Marsh Overlord 50w custom build, it is a versatile and fantastic sounding Dumble clone.. Plus the amp I have from Allen can be had as a kit in head, 1/12, or 1/15. The Allen kits have great instructions included and great factory support, very nice iron and parts. The Marsh kits are for experienced builders.

Did I mention that they are like vintage Fenders in build style and sound but in several ways taken to a next level of tweaks and improvements? The retail prices are a solid, fair value. You get what you pay for and then some with the Marsh and Allen amps.

Buy American made, not Chinese wannabe's for less dollars' sleaze, please!

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

Boutique guitars for boutique amps!

Archived