Heritage Owners Club

Shure SM 58

FredZepp

Yes, interesting stuff.

I've discovered that the "look" of the sm58 is almost as powerful for young vocalists as the look of the strat and paul are for young guitarists.

In equipping the student ensemble that I direct, I've purchased a number of mics, often with the strengths and weaknesses of particular vocalists in mind. So, I've tried to use several models of Audix vocal mics, and Senn 835's and 945's( a mic I like a lot.) All of these "non58's" have significant spec/pattern advantages over that old Shure warhorse, but, when I put mics up for young vocalists, they go to the 58's, and avoid the others like the plague. And, forget about explaining to them the 57 is the same mic with a different windscreen. Sing through an instrument mic? Never.

In this context, the big advantage of the Beta58 is that the students can't tell it apart from the sm58, and will actually use it.

Yes, interesting stuff.

I've discovered that the "look" of the sm58 is almost as powerful for young vocalists as the look of the strat and paul are for young guitarists.

In equipping the student ensemble that I direct, I've purchased a number of mics, often with the strengths and weaknesses of particular vocalists in mind. So, I've tried to use several models of Audix vocal mics, and Senn 835's and 945's( a mic I like a lot.) All of these "non58's" have significant spec/pattern advantages over that old Shure warhorse, but, when I put mics up for young vocalists, they go to the 58's, and avoid the others like the plague. And, forget about explaining to them the 57 is the same mic with a different windscreen. Sing through an instrument mic? Never.

In this context, the big advantage of the Beta58 is that the students can't tell it apart from the sm58, and will actually use it.

Ha, I would have guessed that this would be true more of my generation than your students. The folks at Shure have to be happy about this.

It may be why I like the Beta 58 also.... hadn't considered that.

Happy Anni to the Shure, for sure. But we dumped our SM58s years ago. First went with the Senn 835s ( I still use mine on acoustic gigs). Tried some Blues. Now we've settled on the Audix mics. For us, just easier to EQ - actually less eq'ing. Even years ago I was not fond of the '58s, but they were what was available and the "IN" mic.

I've played with two other bands where the vocalists used the Betas. They sounded nice!

Archived