Heritage Owners Club

535 with push / pull pots?

Guitarbean

I'd like to add push/pull pots to my 535, but I'm concerned about effect it would have on the top of the guitar from pushing/pulling over time.

I have push/pull pots on other guitars that are all solid bodies, which are obviously....solid. Wondering how sturdy/safe a 535 would be.

Anyone done this?

I was thinking of doing the same thing on my hollow body 555. I talked to Pete Farmer at Heritage he said it would not be a problem. The laminated top is very strong. It will not be a problem using push/pull pots on a laminated top. What type of pickups were you thinking of using?

I have push-pulls on tone controls on my H535 :)

no problems at all, maybe fingernails hitting the finish over time if not paying attention

I thought of push-push could be better

in that case the 'pull' is not needed and with a light touch it's possible to easily coil split

that's just my opinion as of now :)

I have push-pulls on tone controls on my H535 :)

no problems at all, maybe fingernails hitting the finish over time if not paying attention

I thought of push-push could be better

in that case the 'pull' is not needed and with a light touch it's possible to easily coil split

that's just my opinion as of now :)

I had push push on a couple of guitars.

I liked them over the push pull guitars I had.

Funny thing is, as important as it was to me back then to have all the p/up options all set up, I never used them.

One 3 p/up hsh guitar with 9 different switching options, after 2yrs gigging, only used neck, bridge or neck and bridge. But when I was ordering that guitar it was so important to me to have those options.

Funny thing is, as important as it was to me back then to have all the p/up options all set up, I never used them.

One 3 p/up hsh guitar with 9 different switching options, after 2yrs gigging, only used neck, bridge or neck and bridge. But when I was ordering that guitar it was so important to me to have those options.

You're probably right. But one option I do appreciate is the ability to run a pickup in parallel rather than simply split. I think it's a happy median between full humbucker and split, which can sound thin and with not enough volume.

Steve Vai signature pickups in a 535? Interesting let us know how that works out for you.

Yeah, seems a bit unorthodox since most active people on the HOC seem to go with Seth Lovers or some variation of that...which by the way it currently has. I wanted to thicken things up a bit. I have an Ibanez Egen18 and the pickups in that are similar to the Gravity Storms. You can't get the Egen pickups in the aftermarket. Anyways, they sound absolutely stunning. They maintain clarity and substance and sound fabulous when run in parallel as well. The Seth's were sounding a little too thin to my ear. I never play with much gain, so this perspective is from pristine clean jazz efforts...and yes, I use the Ibanez shredder as a jazz guitar...remarkably smooth, clear, and thick. I also considered a Gibson '57...but I figured, what the hell...YOLO!

The biggest problem with push/pulls in a semihollow is the installation--passing everything in and out of the f-holes. It's an exercise in patience. The two volumes and the bridge tone aren't too bad, since you can reach in and get a finger on 'em. The neck tone pot....well, that's another story. So hopefully you don't have to change that one....

• 2 months later...

Probably a good thing you didn't use 'em. They don't last long with constant use and having to replace 'em in a 535...! I had some in a Les Paul and they all failed within 3 months.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a harness with 4 push pulls,a 21 choice thing,bought some SD alinco 2 pros tk put in and older 555.the Seth lovers aren't as good match for me,to thin..I play 12 guage thomastic on that one and the mids don't exist in the seths lovers,they do howeve f sound great in a dpruc ed top archtop..well see..

Archived