Heritage Owners Club

Pinning a Bridge

peterbright

Has anyone here had a floating bridge pinned so that it can't shift out of position?  If so, what did it cost & how did it work?

By floating do you mean the type found on 575s and Eagle etc. ?

If so then yes the bridge on my 575 was "fixed" in position when I bought it.

width=600 height=450http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/Heritage%20575/H575_02_w.jpg[/img]

width=360 height=480http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/Heritage%20575/H575_08_w.jpg[/img]

This was done at my request, also it was changed from a standard wooden bridge to a tune-o-matic.

My reason for having this done is simple enough, I am a long time rock and bues player and I really do like to bend those strings, fixing the bridge helps to stop it moving when bending.

As far as I can remember it is held on by double sided tape.

The work was done by the dealer at no extra cost ( Wolfe Guitars)

As more of a Blues player than a jazz cat, I was worried about the bridge on my Super moving as I played, especially as I can be an "enthusiastic" rhythm guitarist when playing live.  Bending .011's was a big concern, as well.  I haven't pinned the bridge, as I've had no need to; I just exercise a little more care with the Eagle than my solid bodies.  And I'd posted elsewhere that I'd had Jay install a T-o-M on the Eagle, in light of the bending issue.  Last time I changed strings on the Big Girl, I went back to the wooden bridge.  Man the tone is sublime.  I was afraid it would be too dark...nope!  Beautiful! 

Having had "battles" with floating bridges on mandolins I didn't want to revisit the issue with a guitar.  Never thought of the double sided tape though.

From an acoustic/sound transfer point of view then I'd guess pining the bridge would be better. With double sided tape the gooey layer between the bridge and guitar body would interfere with sound transfer?

Whether or not anyone could actually tell the difference though... Well I'll leave you to decide that ???

On the other hand, people argue the toss on the amount of glue used in a set neck design and that is far less significant than what you're proposing.

525 with 11s. I play the blues and bend notes (whole step) without it moving at all.

Now I don't "Buddy Guy" bend with the 525, that's what the Tele/Strat is for! ;D

But unless you are going crazy on your plank, string her with 11s and you should have enough tension on the bridge, IMHO.

525 with 11s. I play the blues and bend notes (whole step) without it moving at all.

Now I don't "Buddy Guy" bend with the 525, that's what the Tele/Strat is for! ;D

But unless you are going crazy on your plank, string her with 11s and you should have enough tension on the bridge, IMHO.

Hey Kuz you're back !

.. and just reached 1000 posts too !

Congrats  :occasion14:

Hey Kuz you're back !

.. and just reached 1000 posts too !

Congrats  :occasion14:

Thanks, and I didn't even realize I have posted that much here. It's good to be missed, but better to be back.

Archived