Heritage Owners Club

tuners on 535 model

rags56

hi.newbie to the forum.just found it by accident and have been reading on it the last couple days before joining.well,anyway,i have a 96 535 that i bought new.it doesn't see a lot of playing time,anymore,but i don't think i would ever get rid of it.the problem i have is with the tuners.they are nickle finish and i'm on my second set,ordered from heritage.they pit real bad.i have 15 other guitars,fender taylor,prs,ibanez,and none of these have this problem.i would like to order e set of chrome tuners,but not sure which ones to get.i thought maybe of getting just the chrome buttons but can't seem to find them.any help would really be appreciated,and thanks for looking.

Nickel should clean up perfect with a little "Mothers metal polish". Chrome, like gold will pit & peal off. Maybe you have had chrome before and what you want is nickel. I would recommend you try Mothers metal polish first, on whatever tuners (chrome or nickel) you have.

I always whip off my tuners with a dry polishing cloth after playing and never had to replace my tuners.

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to HOC.

thanks for the input kuz.i'll try the polish on the original set and see what happens.the tuners are nickle,but maybe my discription was wrong.more tarnish i guess than anything.i did clean 1 of the tuners i took off at the music store,with whatever they clean horn parts with,but i allready had the new ones,so that's as far as that went.but the second set did exactly the same thing.maybe there's something in the case?thanks again,and i'll try the polish and see what happens.btw,i'm glad i found this sight.good to see a place where heritage guitars are so appreciated!

Hi... And welcome to the HOC...

I always thought part of the attraction to nickel tuners was exactly that they did tarnish and give a little "mojo" to a guitar.

I'd always assumed it had something to do with being more like an original Gibson (I use the word Gibson here as distinct from our more commonly used Gibbon to differentiate between original Kalamazoo Gibsons and... erm... that modern stuff) :wink:

One other thing I ought to add... Because sure as hell someone else will if I don't...

[move]:this_thread_is_useless_withou[/move]

;D

There are 7 Heritages owned between me and a couple of friends.  All of them have had trouble with the tuner buttons to one degree or the other.  Some of them are to far gone to help with polish while others are ok for now.  I replaced some of my buttons with pearloid or what ever that stuff is. 

Where did you get the pearloid buttons Bird?  Are they the tulip shape?  Where they difficult to substitute?  Do you have pictures? 

Thanks,

Steve.

Here is a link.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_partsbuttons.htm

sorry for no pics yet guys.i know i put the old tuners right where i wouldn't forget.lol.the new ones cleaned up fairly well,and i'm liking those pearloid buttons as my next option.as soon as i figure out how to post a pic,i'll put one up of my 535.if someones looking for a set of tarnished tuners,i have a set.somewhere.

Rags,

No doubt about Nickel will tarnish quick. Some people like it, some don't. I ask for Nickel hardware because unlike gold (I hate gold hardware) nickel will polish & bush to like new. I due prefer ivoroid or Kluson tuners as well. But don't get rid of those nickel parts, they are worth more and preferred to most owners over chrome.

Firstly... Save them to your computer preferably with an image size of approx 800X600 pixels.

Then log on to the following link...

http://photobucket.com/

Use the following

Username: heritageguitarpics  (all one word)

Password: heritage150

Follow the onscreen instructions (using the "choose files" button) and navigate to the pictures stored on your computer.

Upload them...

They will then appear on the site...

Click on the image on the site and it will load in to its own page.

Right click on the code just below "Img Code" and select "copy" from the resulting pop  up menu.

Navigate back to tis page on the HOC forum...

Right click on the page (where you are typing) and select "paste" from the resulting pop up menu.

Some code will be inserted.

Use the "preview" button at the bottom of the page to check it's all working okay....

Then just click "post"

Sounds kinda difficult but it's easy once you know how.

Archived