Heritage Owners Club

Has anyone here done a 575 vs 175 comparison?

Jazzpunk

Let me start by saying that I'm not interested in picking up a 175 as I'd much rather own another Heritage! What I am curious about though is how the solid wood vs. laminated wood sounds.

There's a 575 on eBay right now that was custom ordered with laminate wood in order to be closer in sound to a 175. I think I might like to do something similar if I'm ever in a position to do a custom order myself. What do you guys think about that? It seems like a pretty cool idea but I figure Heritage chose to go with solid wood for a reason.

I do like the idea of getting closer to the classic 175 sound that I'm so used to hearing but I'd hate to do a laminate 575 if it's actually a downgrade. Any thoughts or insights from those who have compared the 575 and 175 would be much appreciated!

I have an L4 and 575.  The problem is I can't get the bass to settle down on the 575 so there's no fair comparison.  I'm waiting on a pair of HRWs to come up or, will drop by Parsons Street early for the PSPII.

If you're after Howe's signature sound you're headed for one of the world's best players and largest guitar collection.  I hope you're financially equipped! :violent4:

If you're after Howe's signature sound you're headed for one of the world's best players and largest guitar collection.  I hope you're financially equipped! :violent4:

Nah, not chasing after Howe, just interested in a 175 style guitar and wondering if a laminated 575 would be the way to go.

In general I'd view the laminate as a necessary evil at best.  Every 175 I've played has sounded dead acousticly.  Except for a vintage 1950s model, the same can be said when plugged in.  I find the 575 a much better deal.  Yeah, the carved top is brighter, but you can get that old-school sound with flat wound strings.  Also, while carved, the 575 is about an inch thinner than a 175.  So feedback, a major reason for a laminate, is not an issue I've come across with this guitar. 

I play jazz exclusively and the case maybe different if you intend this as a blues or rock box, also the laminates are more durable. If this is the case for you, I'd suggest a regular Heritage laminate like a 550, 525, or Groovemaster before even considering a 175. 

In general I'd view the laminate as a necessary evil at best.  Every 175 I've played has sounded dead acousticly.  Except for a vintage 1950s model, the same can be said when plugged in.  I find the 575 a much better deal.  Yeah, the carved top is brighter, but you can get that old-school sound with flat wound strings.  Also, while carved, the 575 is about an inch thinner than a 175.  So feedback, a major reason for a laminate, is not an issue I've come across with this guitar. 

I play jazz exclusively and the case maybe different if you intend this as a blues or rock box, also the laminates are more durable. If this is the case for you, I'd suggest a regular Heritage laminate like a 550, 525, or Groovemaster before even considering a 175. 

Great info, thanks! I'd be looking at the 575 as mainly a jazz box but I was wondering about the feedback issue. Mainly I was just curious as to the actual tone differences between the laminated vs. non laminated after seeing that Heritage would do a laminated version.

Do you play a 575 now or is the Super Eagle your main jazz guitar?

I have a 1964 175 and a 1961 175. I also have two 575s and have played many others. The 575 has more sustain, less attack, a fuller sound (more bass AND more treble). It also has a thinner body, which some find more comfortable. It has more acoustic sound due to the solid maple construction, but it's not an acoustic guitar by any stretch of the imagination. Heritage was also clever in moving the neck pickup right next to the fingerboard (unlike Gibson 175) for a fuller, rounder jazz sound.

These comments apply to the regular H575 and H575 Custom, NOT the spruce top models.

Another thing. Feedback is not any better or worse. Solid maple archtop guitars are not prone to feedback in the way that spruce-top guitars are. I've used my 575s on large stages without any feedback issues. Of course, these are jazz gigs, not rock or pop, so keep that in mind. (I did not know Heritage will be making laminated 575s.)

Another thing. Feedback is not any better or worse. Solid maple archtop guitars are not prone to feedback in the way that spruce-top guitars are. I've used my 575s on large stages without any feedback issues. Of course, these are jazz gigs, not rock or pop, so keep that in mind. (I did not know Heritage will be making laminated 575s.)

Hi Soybean,

Thanks for the comparison.

As far as Heritage making laminated 575's, I don't think they were aware of it either lol. I sent an e-mail to Heritage regarding the guitar in question and got a response back from Ren. He was adamant that they had never made a laminated 575. I than sent him a link to the auction of the guitar in question and he seemed intrigued, saying he would ask around about it. If I hear anything back I'll be sure to post.

I sent an e-mail to Heritage regarding the guitar in question and got a response back from Ren. He was adamant that they had never made a laminated 575.

Heritage DID make a one-off laminated H575 for Wolfe Guitars a few years ago.

When I saw the original listing for that guitar on Wolfe's website a few months ago, it explained that the laminate 575 one-off was a thinline and became the proto-type for Wolfe's 525.

Jazzpunk, the tracks are on the Super Eagle.  I'll be posting some 525 tracks soon.  Though keep in mind that my 575 has been modified with Lollar P-90s.

When I saw the original listing for that guitar on Wolfe's website a few months ago, it explained that the laminate 575 one-off was a thinline and became the proto-type for Wolfe's 525.

That is true; however, there WAS a laminated H575 built for Jay, and it was NOT a thinline.

Jazzpunk, the tracks are on the Super Eagle.  I'll be posting some 525 tracks soon.  Though keep in mind that my 575 has been modified with Lollar P-90s.

Actually the one I'm talking about is up on eBay right now and according to the seller it has the same exact specs as the 575. It must be the 'one off' that Thunder is talking about. As it sounds like there isn't much of a feedback issue with the 'regular' 575, I'll just keep saving my pennies for one of those.

Can't wait to hear the 525 tracks!

I have a second hand H575 and when I bought it I compared it to a Gibson ES175 of similar vintage. They were both superb guitars but the H575 had a fuller, smoother sound and I felt a better sound for a Jazz guitar. I also cranked them both up and played some blues. The H575 won hands down. The H575 was also quite a bit cheaper that the Gibson. Up till then, I was a Gibson fan, owning four Gibson guitars and one Gibson mandolin. I am still a Gibson fan but I now own three Heritage guitars and one Heritage mandolin, as well!!!   

I have a second hand H575 and when I bought it I compared it to a Gibson ES175 of similar vintage. They were both superb guitars but the H575 had a fuller, smoother sound and I felt a better sound for a Jazz guitar. I also cranked them both up and played some blues. The H575 won hands down. The H575 was also quite a bit cheaper that the Gibson. Up till then, I was a Gibson fan, owning four Gibson guitars and one Gibson mandolin. I am still a Gibson fan but I now own three Heritage guitars and one Heritage mandolin, as well!!!   

Would love to see that mandolin! Got pics?

Archived