Heritage Owners Club

Binging cracks…

Genosinger

That's very common.  With temperature and humidity changes, metal responds differently than wood.  The fret marker area must have cracked due to weakening on the binding there and wood moisture changes.

Some guitar companies don't bind over the frets.  It's more work.

I don't even notice the binding cracks on the neck because they seem inevitable.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/cracks-in-binding.467486/

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/77373-slight-cracks-in-fretboard-binding/

https://www.everythingsg.com/threads/is-cracked-binding-normal.19180/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MG is right on the money.    If there was no binding, the guitar would probably be exhibiting some fret sprout which happens with the wood dries out and shrinks.   That's one of the big advantages of having that binding over the edge.   You'll never rip open your hand sliding up the fretboard!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, davesultra said:

Totally normal, especially with a nitrocellulose finish.

18 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

MG is right on the money.    If there was no binding, the guitar would probably be exhibiting some fret sprout which happens with the wood dries out and shrinks. 

On 12/25/2023 at 12:12 PM, MartyGrass said:

That's very common.  With temperature and humidity changes, metal responds differently than wood. 

All of the above, of course.  And if you'll notice, the crack is right where the tang is for each fret.  That would make perfect sense regarding both Marty's and Rich's observations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have two H535’s, both are from 1997 and both were purchased new (by me!).   My ASB has been played less, and is in better overall shape but has the exact same neck binding cracks at each fret.  You can’t feel it when playing and have to look close but they are there. My amber version has been played more but has no cracks.  Both guitars were stored in my humidity controlled room and stored in their cases when not played.  

It’s just something that happens and I’m sure my other guitar will eventually develop them over time.  I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a guitar with those micro cracks.  As long as binding isn’t separating and the cracks aren’t noticeable when playing.   I’ve seen acoustic guitars have binding separate from the body, that’s a different matter.   

Edited by Jackman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, hopkinwfg said:

Beauty of natural relicing and broken in.... do you inherit weather checks on the guitar body as well?

I am a sucker for honest play wear/natural relic-ing. If I were given the choice of two identical guitars, one in mint condition, one in "this tool actually put food on someone's table" condition, I'm taking the latter every time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Seacup said:

I am a sucker for honest play wear/natural relic-ing. If I were given the choice of two identical guitars, one in mint condition, one in "this tool actually put food on someone's table" condition, I'm taking the latter every time. 

I was like you too.... but my idea changed to these weather checks after i got my first Suhr antique classic .... its beautiful !!! The cracking line sets on mild is what i can take.... no dings no chips....