Heritage Owners Club

Pickup Identification....Please Help

joebou

I just got a used Heritage H-535, 2001..I'm a little confused about the pickups.

The seller told me everything was original, except for the nobs..no big deal... he sent the originals with the guitar.

I'm not extremely happy with the neck pickup, so I took it out.

The only thing on the pickup for identification is a black sticker with gold letters that says Patent Applied For.

I thought that was a Gibson Pickup.  What are Gibson pickups doing in a supposedly stock Heritage?  I'm not angry, just curious.

I want some new pickups, and I want to make sure I don't buy the same ones that are already in the guitar.

Any input would be helpful.  Thanks

picup.jpg

picup.jpg_thumb

I'm no pro but I'm guessing that's either a Gibson '57 classic or Burstbucker.  I'm pretty sure my old '57 Classics had the PAF sticker on the bottom. 

Ok, I just went and looked at the '57 classics I pulled out of my Gword CS-336 and they look identcial to what you have there accept the #1 wound by sticker - mine don't have that.

Sure looks to be a Gibson reproduction PAF pup. Whats the sticker on the other pup say? They usually say 57 or have a wound by and date. It's one of the two GuitaArtMan mentioned. Great pups. You'll have to give a "Tone Report" in the 535 :)

Yep, looks like a Gibson BB to me as well.  If memory serves, those can be pretty brittle sounding in some guitars, not smooth as Classic 57's.  That 'Wound By' sticker is a mystery to me however.  Could it be that they were re-wound, or had a magnet swap??   

A buddy of mine has factory Burstbuckers in his semi-hollow and they sound great, but he pushes his amp into overdrive most of the time, and lowers the p'ups way down to tame them.

Yep, looks like a Gibson BB to me as well.  If memory serves, those can be pretty brittle sounding in some guitars, not smooth as Classic 57's.  That 'Wound By' sticker is a mystery to me however.  Could it be that they were re-wound, or had a magnet swap??   

A buddy of mine has factory Burstbuckers in his semi-hollow and they sound great, but he pushes his amp into overdrive most of the time, and lowers the p'ups way down to tame them.

The Classic '57s in my CS-339 were so harsh sounding - they had to go.  Got Lollar Imperials in there right now.  I might try the Bare Knuckle Mules - I have these in my Les Paul and they kill.  I also might try the Fralin P92s - I have these in a Grosh set neck and dig 'em.  Then I might just sell the guitar as it really wasn't what I was looking for.

Archived