Heritage Owners Club

Heritage vs G VOS

Mark Gregg

I gotta say, these "guitar geek-squad" postings are making my brain hurt  ;D

If I may suggest a test...Get 12 Heritage junkies and 12 Gibson junkies, blindfold them, and have them listen to Robben Ford or Joe Bonnamassa play a 150 and an R9 with their bands and see if they can tell which is which, and take a vote.

Seriously, even if the $6000 Gibson sounded 20% better than a 150, why buy it when the 150 is hanging there for $4k less?

I don't need to impress anybody with that kinda bling hanging around my neck.

;D

After posting on and reading through this thread I had a moment of clarity and remembered I only buy guitars I like anyway. So none of it really matters........ Unless I need to understand the physics of what I like about a guitar...... but I dont need to.

Ill just keep buying and playing guitars that feel good and sound great once theyre plugged in :occasion14:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;D

After posting on and reading through this thread I had a moment of clarity and remembered I only buy guitars I like anyway. So none of it really matters........ Unless I need to understand the physics of what I like about a guitar...... but I dont need to.

Ill just keep buying and playing guitars that feel good and sound great once theyre plugged in :occasion14:

And there you go.  :wink:

It’s kind of embarassing but it’s something I feel I have to do for reasons stated earlier. It’s really for credibility I think. I mean, I don’t get any more attention from pretty girls if I play a Gibson. So here goes another embarassing admission. I bought a set of ’59 double white PAF’s and put them in the Murphy R9. Guess what, the 150 still sounds a tad better. I spoke with the guy I bought the Gibson from a couple of days ago and he swears that the R9 is the most special Les Paul he’s ever owned out of 12. Now I have more than $9k  in the R9 and less than $1300 in the Heritage. Also, I can’t wear jeans with rivets when I play the R9. Really, the Heritage is blowing my mind. So are Jared’s pickups. I just ordered a set of strat pups from him with some ‘50’s formvar wire he just acquired. I hope they are as good as the PAFs he wrapped that are in the 150.

It’s kind of embarassing but it’s something I feel I have to do for reasons stated earlier. It’s really for credibility I think. I mean, I don’t get any more attention from pretty girls if I play a Gibson. So here goes another embarassing admission. I bought a set of ’59 double white PAF’s and put them in the Murphy R9. Guess what, the 150 still sounds a tad better. I spoke with the guy I bought the Gibson from a couple of days ago and he swears that the R9 is the most special Les Paul he’s ever owned out of 12. Now I have more than $9k  in the R9 and less than $1300 in the Heritage. Also, I can’t wear jeans with rivets when I play the R9. Really, the Heritage is blowing my mind. So are Jared’s pickups. I just ordered a set of strat pups from him with some ‘50’s formvar wire he just acquired. I hope they are as good as the PAFs he wrapped that are in the 150.

WOW...that is a good story ;D

put the PAFs in the 150!!!!

Its ok :) I have more expensive guitars that the Heritage has made redundant. They are good guitars.

See my sig ;D

Really, the Heritage is blowing my mind. So are Jared’s pickups. I just ordered a set of strat pups from him with some ‘50’s formvar wire he just acquired. I hope they are as good as the PAFs he wrapped that are in the 150.

Mark, where can we find those Jared's pickups ? Is there a website ?

He's here. http://www.brandonwoundpickups.com/ I need to repeat that the pups I got from him were from 50 year old wire and '60's magnets. He told me that that was the last of the wire but he does have some '50's formvar which was used for Fender pups. It may be ok for PAF's, although Gibson used a single ply enamel that was thinner but the same guage wire as what he has now. 43AWG. I can't really vouch for him too much because I only have one set and there's no more wire that's the same as mine. Other than that, I assume he uses what everyone else uses so I wouldn't expect anything radically different than you could get from any of the other pickup companies. Like I said in a previous post, I recommend T-tops if you want the real deal tone. They are under-rated and under valued IMHO.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm a first time poster here so take this as you will. Over on the Plexi Palace forum and site the pickups that people have been talking about are Sheptones. Just another thought in the pursuit of the PAF. I have no personal experience with them however. Glad to hear that the T-tops that you have in right now are kickin'!

I have two sets of Sheptone PAF Tribute pickups. One set with A5 magnets and the other with A2 magnets. Both sets sound great but I've always been partial to the A2 magnets in any brand of pickup. Another set of hand wounds you might want to check out are the manlius sets. Google manlius pickups, listen to the sound clips and email Mick with any questions.

I have two sets of Sheptone PAF Tribute pickups. One set with A5 magnets and the other with A2 magnets. Both sets sound great but I've always been partial to the A2 magnets in any brand of pickup. Another set of hand wounds you might want to check out are the manlius sets. Google manlius pickups, listen to the sound clips and email Mick with any questions.

Do you like those better than the Sheptones?

I've had Sheptones my H150 for well over a year, maybe over 2 years now. Had Seth Lovers in it before that... for over a year.

I like A4s in the Sheptones. I've had A2s and A5s (supplied by Sheptone) in the neck and bridge at various times and always go back to the A4s. I still sometimes miss the lead tones I got out of the Seth neck pickup.

Do you like those better than the Sheptones?

That's like asking if you like sirloin steak better than ribeye steak. Everyones ears are different and I can tell you that you need to listen for yourself. Like Rude Dog with his A4 magnets I have a set of Blue Sky Sheptones with the A4 magnets. These are clones of the Dickey Betts Goldtop PAF's and they are awesome. I can't tell you what to get. Shop around and listen with your own ears. Make sure you also check out the Thobak pickups (an HOC member) These are wound on authentic PAF era machines including the slug PAF winding machine he bought from the Heritage guys that was left in the Parsons Street factory by Gibson. Happy hunting!

Oh I know there is no substitute for listening myself! I was just trying to get some hands on opinions. Youtube clips can only take me so far! I hadn't heard about Throbak before and I will check them out! It's really cool that there are so many good manufacturers to choose from!

Except for the headstock ....am I wrong here or are the dimensions of a Les Paul exactly the same as a 150 ...wouldn't the only differance be comparing two specific guitars ...and a matter of opinion . If you are talking about two quality builds with the same pickups and same hardware ...I'd be happy with either, and have both . I prefer the smaller more reasonably priced customer friendly company ....but can really see no differance in a quality Les Paul or my 150...except the price and the logo ....If I want to buy overpriced guitars I'll buy more PRS's !!!! Lonnie .....Check out Truckbody Jones on the web to hear my Heritages

Except for the headstock ....am I wrong here or are the dimensions of a Les Paul exactly the same as a 150 ...wouldn't the only differance be comparing two specific guitars ...and a matter of opinion . If you are talking about two quality builds with the same pickups and same hardware ...I'd be happy with either, and have both . I prefer the smaller more reasonably priced customer friendly company ....but can really see no differance in a quality Les Paul or my 150...except the price and the logo ....If I want to buy overpriced guitars I'll buy more PRS's !!!! Lonnie .....Check out Truckbody Jones on the web to hear my Heritages

I think they do it just to get under my skin. My biggest pet peeve!

Somebody else open up the can of woop ....

If you would have been at the tour and talked to Marv Lamb & Vince Margal & Bill Page for 3 hours and heard/felt their passion....

If you would have seen real live human beings getting their hands dirty...

If you would have seen another real live human (I am not talking about a simulated Robot that tunes that ridiculous G brand LP) but a REAL human find a small alteration in the neck that was just set and fix it...

Then you wouldn't have said the above and would know the truth.

Please stick around HOC and learn, and if you learn nothing else PLEASE remember "HERITAGE GUITARS ARE NOT ABOUT A LOWER PRICE ALTERNATIVE TO GIBBY'S GUITARS BUT SUPERIOR HANDCRAFTED INSTRUMENTS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is mostly the Gibson guys who always make this comparison. To me my Heritage guitars are built to a higher standard than their equivalent Gibsons.

They really are handcrafted and I have never been more impressed picking up a guitar out of the case as when I bought my Heritages. They are the real deal and I still feel that way since 1991 when I bought the two I have and will never sell, where I sold my 100% original 1954 Les Paul Junior due to financial issues back in 1997, selling a Heritage was never an option..

yngwie308

It is mostly the Gibson guys who always make this comparison. To me my Heritage guitars are built to a higher standard than their equivalent Gibsons.

They really are handcrafted and I have never been more impressed picking up a guitar out of the case as when I bought my Heritages. They are the real deal and I still feel that way since 1991 when I bought the two I have and will never sell, where I sold my 100% original 1954 Les Paul Junior due to financial issues back in 1997, selling a Heritage was never an option..

yngwie308

I sold an all original '65 335 to fund most of mine so I hear ya!!! :D

Archived