Heritage Owners Club

H-157 Pickguards..???

Cryoman

So now that I'm buying Thundersteel's H-157....  How come Eddie's Guitars inventory of H-157s (eight) ALL have the black flamed-maple / bound pickguard, yet only 1 of Jay Wolfe's inventory of 6 has one. (1 of only 7, if you include Thundersteel's which doesn't have a pickup...)

Do you think Heritage sells Jay guitars without the pickguards?  Seems to me that all the H-157s should have one with the owner's option to install it or not.  Any opinions?

Cheers, Cryoman

I think that if the Heritage site says that model comes with a guard it should be delivered to the customer with the guard, regardless of the dealer.  I also think that the installation of the guard should be at the customer's discretion.  That being said, if I found an LP-style guitar with the guard already attached, that wouldn't be a deal breaker.  Might not be my preference to have it on there, but if the guitar plays and sounds good, I'd adapt. :)

Yes. So the Heritage website's specification clearly states that the H-157 comes with the bound wooden pickguard.... Hmm...... I wonder if Wolfe's will sell me once since the H-157 I'm buying never came with one (and was originally purchased there..)  Hmmm....

Maybe I can just get one for free if I ask nicely.... Hmmm....

Cryoman

It seems to me if I remember correctly that the stained wood pickguards are an up-charge option and the plastic ones are standard. I've bought several Heritages from Jay and a couple of them came without a pickguard.  I contacted him about it and he sent me the plastic pickguard and bracket right away for no charge.  He's one of the best dealers in the United States, so if you have a problem or question he'll always make things right.

Golferwave, Thanks.

That's fine BUT the H-157s never come with plastic pickguards, only the bound-wooden pickguards to the best of my knowledge....(and as stated on the Heritage site description for the H-157).  The fact that I'm buying the guitar used only puts me in a bad position...just wish I could know why it didn't originally come with the specified pickguard.  So... I'll end up making one.  Regards.

Cryoman

About 10 years ago I bought a new black H-157 from a local dealer and it had a BWB plastic pickguard on it so I don't know how they're suppose to come but mine was original from Kalamazoo. I'll bet Ren can get you what you need!

Golferwave,

I stand corrected.  I don't think I've ever seen a B/W/B although I am admittedly new to Heritage guitars.  Were they once upon a time ago copying the Gibson pickguard shapes as well??

Cryoman

It was a Gibson shape but smaller in size.  I suppose it could have been dealer installed since it was already on display when I first saw the guitar in the store. I never thought twice about it until you started this thread.  It would be interesting to get a definitive answer from Ren.

• 9 months later...

I recently located two new H-157s in a local music store and neither one of them have the wood pick guards. I currently have a black H-157 that has a flame maple pick guard just like in the picture at the HeritageGuitar web site, but the two in the store are not black and they have plasic pick guards. Maybe it is only the black version that comes with the wood pick guard? I think I would prefer no pick guard over a plastic one.

My 2008 H-157 has the wooden pickguard.  I got it as a close-out from a Colorado dealer that no longer carries Heritage.  I thought it was well-known that Wolfe changes some of the hardware to make it more "Gibson-like," specifically the bridge/tailpiece and pickguard.  It might be that you can request things one way or the other from Wolfe.  Don't know about other dealers.  I like the wooden pickguard--it's a classy touch, though I wish the flaming was a little more visible.  If it were plastic, I'd already have removed it, as I'm a primitive metalhead dude who thinks that LPs are much cooler without the pickguard.  ;D

Okay, I am an idiot. It seems that the H-175 I am referring to (in Cherry Sunburst) does in fact have a wooden pick guard.

Here is what happenned. I put the guitar on layaway and then started driving home. My brain then decided at that particular moment to recall that I did not see any flame effect on the pick guard that one would see with flamed maple. I remembered that it was black and my brain assumed that it was plastic. So today, I went back to the store to ask about the pick guard and we looked at the other H-157 in the case that I didn't put on layaway. Upon close inspection we saw that it was a wood pick guard with binding and that it had a gloss black laquer applied to it and concluded that the one I put on lay-away was just like it. The black laquer is what would have caused my brain to think it was plastic.

So, it now appears that wooden pick guards are standard on the H-157s, regardless of what finish is applied.

Heritage ha s a huge rack of wood pickguards that are just sitting there...i would call and tell them you didnt get one w/ your guitar....maybe they will send you one?

This is true, I have seen this.    (In my best eastern Indian impression.)

Archived