Heritage Owners Club

Strap Lock on a Heritage "Blues Deluxe" Same size body as the Prospect Standard

White Beard

Hello Members.

I'm a new member who recently discovered and purchased a used Heritage guitar.

Body size - rim thickness - 1 1/2”, body width - 15”, body length - 16 3/4.

It has D-VIP Electronics and I have replaced the original Schaller pickups with a pair of Seymour Duncan, Seth Lover (built to the specs of Seth's original design/patent with is often called the Gibson PAF (Patent Applied For) Humbucking pickups. These were recommended to me by Rendal Wall after I described the type of sound that I wanted to achieve. It now sounds like the late 50's, early 60's Gibson's of my youth. Then there's a whole range of sounds available with a flip of a switch using the coil taps or in/out of phase settings.

Now I want to install strap locks. I removed the strap buttons and discovered that the screws that secure them are two different lengths. The one that screws into the back of the body is 1" long and the one that screws into the bridge end of the body is 1.5" long.

Has anyone here installed strap locks on this very thin bodied model? I'd really appreciate your input and experience.

Thanks,

White Beard

Welcome Whitebeard..If it were me I might try to find screws the same length as the originals that will work with the straplocks..Or if the screws that came with the straplocks will "grab" in the original holes then I wouldn't worry about it..Thats my 2 cents worth..Also another cool trick is to use soap on the screws as you put them in, to prevent the wood from splitting..Welcome to The Club..

hi,

it's possible that the previous owner had trouble with the screw coming loose and decided to put a longer screw in it. This is a common scenario with many guitars. You also might find that when you get your straplocks the screws that come with it are thinner or shorter than standard screws. Dont be tempted to put bigger and bigger screws if possible. I would try to use the screws that come with the straplock. you might find that these are the only ones that fit into the locks anyway.  if they are too small for the current holes in your guitar use the toothpick method described 'ad nauseum', on this forum. Basically , jam a toothpick or small sliver of wood in the hole to take up the empty space. I also ad a bit of fine sawdust and glue but some people just use a toothpick. Another method is to fill the hole with an epoxy and re-drill a hole for the new screw.

do a search for 'toothpick'

Toothpick in screw. Break off the the toothpick so a tiny amount is above the guitar. Screw in screw & straplock. If it is not completely tight then repeat.

It is that simple. About 70% of the time it only needs one toothpick. I have done this on all my guitars and it is rock solid.

Welcome Bruce!

I have yet to install straplocks on my Prospect (waiting for supplier to stock the buttons only) but suggest using the screws you have and turning down their heads to fit the buttons. 

Thanks for the warm welcome great chick pics. Also thanks for the advise. I'll post again after installing the strap locks to advise all of the process. I tried to post a pic of my Heritage but got a download error message. I'll try again sometime.

Cant wait to see pics of your Heritage...Welcome!!!

that is a sweet anti-smoking banner, Brent. Looks motivational

thanks man!

i saw it on another forum so i adopted it :)  i'm glad i dont smoke anymore

Your guitar playin' smokes but you don't! 8) ;D

Archived