Heritage Owners Club

Post-move cleanup list

Administrator

Following is a dynamic list of items and issues I am working on. They are listed in order of priority, loosely defined:

• Inline youtube.com posting
  • Change theme/skin to something other than default blue
  • Change hyperlink style (Paul P suggestion)

• Random images in forum (Done)

• News box (Not the same as it was on the old system, but I like it)

• Login timeout (24 hours)

• More emoticons (Have enough now?)

• Configure and re-enable moderators (Thundersteel and Brentrocks) (Done)

• Figure out issue with 'Quote' button not working (working as designed)

• Spell check (Avail. spell check mods for v2.x are mostly unsupported; v3.0 will have it built in)

• Replace IPB logos with HOC logo (logo courtesy of Jim W.; colorized courtesy mars_hall; done)

• Favicon (A favicon is now in place; may take a day or so for your browser to show it, though, unless you clear your cache)

• Charter member group and logo (group made, members added, logo in)

• Quick reply box (Fast Reply box enabled for all public forums)

• Consider lengthening post-post edit time (set to 5 min, which is longer than the SMF setting was)

If you find issues with the new board that you think should be addressed, please post them here. As I add them to the list (or not), I will remove the posts in order to keep the topic uncluttered. Please note that at this point, the likelihood of fixing the old SMF formatting code that wasn't converted is not high on the list of priorities, with the exception of the IMG tag issue.

• 3 weeks later...
one thing I miss from the former format is an easy method of showing topics you have made comments on that have new comments or replys.

Maybe I just have not found that feature in the new format yet.

M.M

I have yet to find a way to show new replies to posts. You could, I suppose, subscribe to a thread that you start, or reply to, and then turn on "E-Mail notification of replies" in your "My Controls" settings. That is not quite the same thing, though. I will continue to look; perhaps some offers a modification to add this functionality.

One thing I've noticed missing from the old forum is a notice when a reply has been posted between the time you hit reply and actually post your reply. Concurrent posts, I guess it could be called.

I have searched for this functionality in the board settings and it does not seem to be there. I will put it on my list of modifications to search for.

A related note to JC's PM one. Just today went to my messages, hadn't before since it's been "0 new messages". But did see that my folder was 100% full here. Had 3 pages of messages and needed to get to one to just break the 100% full.

So, looks like if you've used the PM feature on the old forum that you should go to your inbox on the new one and clean house in order to receive/send messages on the new.

There is a 50 item limit in the personal message box. If you had more than that on the old system, you will need to go through your Inbox (click on "X New Messages", where X is an integer >= 0, in the top right corner of the page to get there quickly) and remove any excess messages which can be deleted.

Sorry if this has been dealt with before, I've just spent quite a while searching and

haven't turned anything up. I've been trying to upload photos with the attachment

funtionality (which for some reason is not available in the message I'm currently typing ?).

The software goes through the motions until the "Uploading" banner appears then things

just hang.

Is the function available and if so what did I do wrong ?

The photos are 300K-500K in size.

I couldn't get it to work either. Looking through others' posts with graphics I noticed everyone had uploaded their graphics to either their own URL, Photobucket (or equivalent) or stored them in their gallery. I went via the latter and was able to link with the URL address in to the post.

Enjoy!

The attachment system appears to be functioning properly. There is a limit, "Max. size of post (in kb)" which is set to 100. I would not have thought that would include attachments, as those have a setting of their own (1.5MB per post) but perhaps it does. I will check on it and adjust if necessary. Still, 500K is pretty large for an image in the forum. If you resize them down to 640x480 or maybe 800x600 and save them as JPEGs, they will take up a lot less space.

As to the attachment upload banner appearing to hang, if you are uploading a megabyte or more of data it could take a while, dpending on your uplink speed. Dialup would be very long, cable would probably a minute or two. As a test, try and upload a single, small picture, say less than 100Kb, and see if it works.

Mail setting incorrect. Should be working properly now.

Spanks! I appreciate it! :D

The attachment system appears to be functioning properly. There is a limit, "Max. size of post (in kb)" which is set to 100. I would not have thought that would include attachments, as those have a setting of their own (1.5MB per post) but perhaps it does. I will check on it and adjust if necessary. Still, 500K is pretty large for an image in the forum. If you resize them down to 640x480 or maybe 800x600 and save them as JPEGs, they will take up a lot less space.

I resized my photos to 640x480 pixels (jpegs) and the result was between 300K and 500K each

(down from 2.5 megs).

As to the attachment upload banner appearing to hang, if you are uploading a megabyte or more of data it could take a while, dpending on your uplink speed. Dialup would be very long, cable would probably a minute or two. As a test, try and upload a single, small picture, say less than 100Kb, and see if it works.

I just tried a 70k file and the result was the same, it just hangs on the "Uploading File" banner.

I'm on cable so speed isn't an issue.

All my profile folders are empty if that matters.

Archived