Heritage Owners Club

1998 vs. 2002 - which would you choose blind?

sykofiddle

I've got an opportunity to trade for a 1998 or a 2002 H-535.  Are there any reliable differences in build that you could predict based just  on the year?  Necks?  Frets?  Standard pickups?  I need to decide which one to have shipped first so if there's anything I could predict based on the build year that would help.  Thanks! 

If I had to choose 'blind', I would play both of them for about an hour each.  The one that had the best feeling neck carve (they are all slightly different), and best acoustic resonance, and the most complex sounding pickups, and the one that had upgraded hardware (i.e. no roller bridge please) and maybe the one that looked the coolest (for my narcissistic side). 

Otherwise, I don't think there is much difference from year to year with Heritage.  Plus the H535 is a semi-hollow laminate, so there isn't the 'improving with age' factor as is the case with a solid wood instrument.

Finally and most importantly, which one do YOU like?  :)

Here's a link to a photo of a schaller roller bridge in the stew mac catalog.  I've never tried to change one out, but I think an earlier thread noted this was an easy swap for either the nashville or abr tunamatic, I don't remember which. 

I'd like to switch the roller on my 550 to a bigsby-equipped guitar, where it would be useful, and put the tunamatic from that guitar on the 550 ... so if anyone has made a swap, I'd appreciate a detailed description.  (Esp.: do the bushings have to come out, or do the studs interchange?  That would be pretty simple ...but how often do different manufacturers make their parts interchange, even when one is a copy of another?

www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_1lg/1266_1lg.jpg

Sykofiddle~ I was referring to the original bridge and bulky Schaller tailpiece setup that Heritage began with...and that many dealers upgrade from.

Here's the original spec sheet and photo:

http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/H535.htm

You might take a visual journey to Wolfe Guitars site and check out how he sets up his H535's for comparison.

www.wolfeguitars.com 

If you are not able to play the guitars you are in the market for, it's going to be next to impossible to compare the two.  The next best alternative is for the seller(s) to give you an in-hand, detailed description.  Good luck.

Archived