Heritage Owners Club

Swapping Out the Schallers

ingeneri

So I've got this set of hand made Kent Armstrong humbuckers I'm considering swapping into my Super Eagle. The guitar currently has the standard Schallers with the two side screws. However, the Kent Armstrong, like the Benedetto or Seymour Duncan pickups, has only a single screw.

Have any of you guys made a similar modification from a mounted Schaller with the two screws to a pickup with only one? I'd like to swap pups, but am a bit wary of anything that would require drilling on this guitar. HRWs are out since I'm not willing to go without this guitar for any extended period (EVER!).

Have the lords of K-Zoo ever weighed in on this?

The Super Eagle is loaded with HRWs from the manufacturer... ?

If my understanding of what you are asking is correct. you should be able to use the third (middle) hole on the ring and possibly a different threaded screw. Schallers use metric screws. I have no idea what screw Lawrence uses

Oops... The Heritage site is back up and doesn't mention HRWs on the Super Eagle. My bad.

Send your guitar up to Kazoo and retrieve it on the PSPII tour - Things that make you go Hmm...

The pickup came with its own mounting rings. My question is if the screws that adjust pickup height on the side go into the wood of the guitar or not.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "screws that adjust the PuP height on the side"? There are screws that attach the rings to the guitar, and there are screws that attach the rings to the PuP. The 4 screws on each corner of the PuP ring attach to the guitar. The 2 in the top and bottom middle that adjust Pup height don't go into the guitar.

FWIW.. I replaced the Schallers in my 157 with Duncan 59's. At the time I bought some new (standard gibbon) PuP rings that were exactly the same size as the PuP rings that came with the Schallers. Everything screwed into the same holes that were already there for the Schallers.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "screws that adjust the PuP height on the side"? There are screws that attach the rings to the guitar, and there are screws that attach the rings to the PuP. The 4 screws on each corner of the PuP ring attach to the guitar. The 2 in the top and bottom middle that adjust Pup height don't go into the guitar.

Should you unscrew the 4 screws that go into the top... you should find the height adjusting screws go into the rings. So you remove the rings and the pups come with it. The four screws should be in the same place when you install the Kents.

The pickup came with its own mounting rings. My question is if the screws that adjust pickup height on the side go into the wood of the guitar or not.

Most humbucking pickups are direct replacements for each other. After all, the replacement pickup market started as replacements for Gbrand pikcups, they wouldn't sell to well if they didn't fit. That said, I will say that Seth Lovers (and possibly Antiquites) have deeper mounting tabs than other pickups (maybe this is the way they did it in the '50s) and so require a somewhat deeper cavity.

Archived