Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Guitars....the early days.

High Flying Bird

All of the restructuring of Heritage and the fact that I am trying to sell an old Heritage have made me think of guitars and how I was turned onto The Heritage.

In another post I posted some comments about, and a photo of Mr. Walker who owned the music store me and my band of fools did business with. 

Back 1990, when I had enough hair to have hair I ordered a black H-150.  Mr. Walker told me it could be months until they could make one.  He got off the phone and told me that they had one in stock.  Just like I wanted.  They said that Roy Clark ordered an H-150 just like I wanted so they made two of them and he picked the other.  I really didn't believe that until one day a buddy called me and told me to turn the TV to Hee Haw.  I swear to God, there was Roy Clark playing "my" guitar.  I will have to find some pictures of it and post them. 

When me and my bud "Jimmy Man" went to Mr. Walker in 96' to order the H-150 and H-535 we currently own, Mr Walker told us that it might be several months before we got our guitars.  He got off of the phone with Heritage and told us that they were going to send a shipment of guitars to Japan and that the shipment included the guitars we wanted.  We had them 3 days later.  Back then the Japanese were bat crap crazy for Heritage guitars. 

I guess the main thought here is that not only was the local guitar dealer on my side but Heritage was willing to support him.  We got lucky, sure, but can you imagine Gibson even giving us the time of day?  These guys walked away from the phone and checked their stock!  They didn't say, well call you back..."  Their guitars popularity boloed them.  I don't think they ever dreamed of so much business. 

Now they have, what looks like good support, and I think they could really become a big player in the business or at least more efficient.  Sure, the web site sux and people want to have more input on their product line and better support on their custom orders but I think this is going to pass and you will see a big improvement. 

I think the new guy will be heads up enough to check this site and see what people have to say.  I can also, in my minds eye, see him walking onto the production floor with a laptop and stampeding all of the craftsmen.  It will be tough.

We have relatives about 3 hours away from the Heritage factory.  Next October I plan on being at 225 Parsons St. at 1:00 on Wed. cameras in hand ready for the tour. 

that is a great story, Bird!!

Living in the Kalamazoo area all my life, i am prowd to be a Heritage owner....there is a certain sence of pride to know that some of the best guitars ever made in the history of rock, were built in your back yard!!!

Hope you enjoy your tour and your 150!!!, its next Wed. for me...yippee!!!

...Next October I plan on being at 225 Parsons St. at 1:00 on Wed. cameras in hand ready for the tour. 

Uh, I live about three hours away from the factory!  Maybe we should plan the first-ever HOC "Take Over The Factory Tour" for October 2008. :P

My people are in Muncie, In.  I will be game for the take over.  Between all of us that go we might have more Heritage guitars than some of their dealers. 

I am sure Linda would be all for it!  She loves the show, "How They Make That."

You know, that's a damn good idea.

In my posting in the "Hot News From Jay" thread I said "I could see an open house type of annual get together/factory tour/jam."

My thought was that Heritage would be involved with the forum in organizing it, but we could organize it ourselves...

Does anyone live close enough to Heritage that would be willing to let forum members use their place as a base of operations for a day for meeting up/cooking out/jamming before & after a trip to the factory for a tour en masse?

I'd contribute towards the costs of such an event, and maybe we could get Heritage to offer some "swag" to the group?

I've hosted gatherings from other forums at my place, and they are pretty fun, but to have a factory tour as well would sure be a cool wrinkle ;D

Opinions?

EDIT: I am going to open a new thread with a duplicate of this post, maybe we can get this going!

Archived