Heritage Owners Club

Heritage D’Angelico

cod65

I read somewhere --I think maybe when this or a mate to this guitar was for sale on the Mandolin Brothers site, but I can't remember for sure-- that when the D'Angellico family agreed to license the name for a line of guitars, Heritage was approached as a possible producer, and made a/a couple of prototypes before Vestex became the eventual producer.  Anybody know any more about the story?

This is a tangent, but I've always thought part of the magic of Heritage's Almond Sunburst color was that it resonated with a deeply-etched memory of the very similar sunburst on those gorgeous D'Angellico's that were and are on the covers of the Mel Bey instruction books.  I remember as a kid wondering why none of the guitars in the stores in my home town looked like that guitar on my Mel Bay v. 1, or my Encyclopedia of 1001 Guitar Chords, or ...  If this guitar was in sunburst, I think a Jungean "race memory" might compel me to pursue it as the cure to all my shortcomings as a guitar player.  In red, I can pass.

I remember as a kid wondering why none of the guitars in the stores in my home town looked like that guitar on my Mel Bay v. 1, or my Encyclopedia of 1001 Guitar Chords, or ...  If this guitar was in sunburst, I think a Jungean "race memory" might compel me to pursue it as the cure to all my shortcomings as a guitar player.  In red, I can pass.

Man. That really takes me back to those early days of playing also, when everything was new and exciting. The red color adds a surreal dimension to the memories I have of those old book covers.

And some people think the Heritage headstock is ugly? That D'Angelico headstock has a face only a mother could love!

There's a function to the form on this headstock Thundersteel. Those slots on either side of the brass knob at the top can double as duel cigarette holders. This made it possible for a  hardcore chain smoking (and who knows what else) jazz player to keep a lit cigarette in one slot and an unlit reserve in the other. Not sure, but I believe on the original model, the brass knob was an actual cigarette lighter. That's what I call a DELUXE jazz model.

I remember these guitars from the NAMM show the year they were reissued. They (D'A) had a whole booth full of these things, so the number 19 doesn't seem too far-fetched. I played many of them and they were great archtops, better the Vestax guitars and as good as any Heritage acoustic archtop. It just goes to show how talented those guys at Heritage really were to be able to make these great D'Angelicos with all their detailing. I also remember that some of the D'As that year were also made by a different luthier. His name was Michael - i can't remember his last name- but he's a well known guitar builder and he was part of the ownership or management of the D'Angelico company that year. He made a few of them by hand in his shop.

Now for something really surprising: Some of the hand-carved archtop guitars issued by Gretsch were actually built by Heritage.

Now for something really surprising: Some of the hand-carved archtop guitars issued by Gretsch were actually built by Heritage.

Indeed. Here is a link to one currently for sale - the photos are pretty good, and one can see the similarity to the Heritage-branded archtops.

http://www.guitaraholicsu.com/id37.html

I agree with Andy R. that the Heritage shop builds its own Golden E.'s just as nicely as any guitars they might have made for other marques.

Indeed. Here is a link to one currently for sale - the photos are pretty good, and one can see the similarity to the Heritage-branded archtops.

I agree with Andy R. that the Heritage shop builds its own Golden E.'s just as nicely as any guitars they might have made for other marques.

The price had mostly scrolled off the right side of my browser window, so I thought it was $600!  I think I had a ministroke looking for the "Add to cart" button.  Then I saw the real price and now I'm depressed. ;)

The price had mostly scrolled off the right side of my browser window, so I thought it was $600!  I think I had a ministroke looking for the "Add to cart" button.  Then I saw the real price and now I'm depressed. ;)

Keep scrollin' and it goes 'way down'

I too would take a 'real' Golden Eagle or Super Eagle to one of those D'Angelico models.

Something scares me about the huge, gaudy headstock.  I can see it now, bumping that big appendage into the drummer's cymbal, or worse, knocking out the singer with it!

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the bridge and tailpiece! Very cool!

Archived