Heritage Owners Club

Push Pull switch on Vol control

cosmikdebriis

Hi... I've just bought an H-140 gold top (serial F27 266) black backed headstock. It has P90 pickups (Korean made by "Sky" to a Kent Armstrong design, Model S905 ®.

My query is... The volume control for the neck pickup has a push pull switch built in (the same as my Yamaha SG1000 has as a coil tap). However as the P90's are clearly single coil then it's nothing to do with that. Perhaps it's to put the two pickups in and out of phase?

Any ideas??? Is this original fitment???

Put it in the middle position, both volume controls full up, play, flip the switch, if you hear a difference in sound (one setting should be full and crisp, the other setting thin, hollow, nasal with reduced volume) then it is indeed a phase switch.  If you don't hear anything then I don't have a clue what the switch does.  I doubt it is stock, but Heritage is a customs shop so I'm sure someone could have ordered it from the factory with a push/pull volume pot for some reason.

Thing is... It's pitch black over here in England so I'll have to wait till tommorrow for the pics.

Having just had a close look at the wiring, there's no connection between the bridge pickup and the vol control/switch. Also, there's no discernable tonal difference with the switch in either position. So... I'm guessing either the pickups or the switch have been changed. Thing is, there's no obvious sign of re soldering. Hmm... Bit of a mystery.

I love the guitar, neck is sublime. The thin body is gonna take a bit o getting used to, kinda reminds me of an ultra cheapie Korean LP copy I once owned. Hopefully I'll get over it.

Because of the P90's  don't really have anything to compare it to. My other guitars include... An... Erm... Dare I say... "Norlin" LP (I guess there's no mention of the "G" word here ! Yamaha SG100 and 2000 (very nice), Jap Strat, Patrick Eggle and a Minarik Goddess !!! The Heritage sounds completely different to all of them.  Closest I've ever owned to the feel and sound was a 70's SG special.

Cheers for all your help...

The 170 is a seriously under rated guitar. Like a super SG if you like. Very light but, not at all weak sounding. Really nice. Youll enjoy it. Is it stock??

you are in the UK, WOW!!  i bet they are hard to get

yup mine is stock...it is a 1985, tobaco burst flametop...i'm pretty excited

you got some pics of yours???

Hi Cosmik!Ive seen your nik before. Do you have a guitar web site?? Grecos and Burnys n stuff?

Yes... That's me...

I... or perhaps to be truthfull, I used to... import and sell vintage Japanese guitars, mostly Greco and Yamaha. I still believe an upmarket Greco will give any "G" a run for the money. Infact I'd say "G" guitars are the most over rated and over priced guitars I've ever come accross.  More recently I've been looking for a hand built guitar, hence the Heritage. I think I may well have to go for a 150 as I believe they are thicker in the body. What do you guys think?

Yeah really like your site.Got some good info on Grecos. Im not the best person to ask regarding Heritage comparisons but, there are some really knowledgable guys on here who know their stuff. Im sure they can give you an objective opinion. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Yes... That's me...

I... or perhaps to be truthfull, I used to... import and sell vintage Japanese guitars, mostly Greco and Yamaha. I still believe an upmarket Greco will give any "G" a run for the money. Infact I'd say "G" guitars are the most over rated and over priced guitars I've ever come accross.  More recently I've been looking for a hand built guitar, hence the Heritage. I think I may well have to go for a 150 as I believe they are thicker in the body. What do you guys think?

I think there are some Japanese guitars I wouldn't have a problem buying.  ;)  As for a hand-built "classic, American" guitar, for me it's down to Heritage (for Gibby stuff), Hamer (for almost Gibby stuff) and G&L (for Fenderish stuff). 

The 140s are thinner than the 150s (140s are about "tele" thickness from what I've been told, and based on the thickness of my 137).  If it were me, I'd go for a black H157 with the natural back and sides and nickel hardware.  But, that's me (and I've already mentioned it a million times). :)

Archived