Heritage Owners Club

Do You Change Pots n Caps?

Gitfiddler

I put an RS vintage kit in my H150 earlier this year. It made a big difference, opening up the high end when I roll the volume down a bit. I have an H535 on order now (one of the 25th anniversary models from Jay Wolfe), and it will have an RS vintage kit in it as well.

I have RS super pots for volumes and their tone pots. My stock ones stopped working right - I think from over heating during a pickup swap, otherwise I wouldn't have changed them or the caps. I have Russian PIOs in there now just for shits and giggles.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. As stated above, there's a bit of variance in the pot values.

If I have a guitar I wanted to tweak the tone of, the very first thing I'd do is measure the pots and possibly replace them.

CTS pots have a really wide range around the 500k.

i measured about 30 pots to get the right ones.

they were between 420k to 570k.

this range sounds totally different and is hardly to accept (for me).

This is true and exactly why you need to measure them before using them. I get my CTS points from a reliable vender and I don't see a range as wide as you describe however I don't discount your results. I usually see a range between 475k and 525k. That would account for approximately 70% of the pots I measure. Something like 420 or 570 would be outliers only seen rarely. When I sell electronic kits to my clients I measure and match everything at no extra cost because that's they way its always been done by professionals. I hate the scammers on ebay who upcharge 50% for this on ebay.

jason

www.peerlesstone.com

Archived