Heritage Owners Club

Pickup cover removal

Salutemysolution

I use a soldering iron with some solder wick to remove the solder. The cover should come off easily. Make sure the cover doesn't catch the windings when taking it off.

I use a soldering iron with some solder wick to remove the solder. The cover should come off easily. Make sure the cover doesn't catch the windings when taking it off.

OK this could potentially be a stupid question, but are the bobbins actually coated in wax or is the wax just on the wire itself? Essentially, after the cover is off, is everything covered in wax? Thanks for the reply...I'll definitely give it a shot.

OK this could potentially be a stupid question, but are the bobbins actually coated in wax or is the wax just on the wire itself? Essentially, after the cover is off, is everything covered in wax? Thanks for the reply...I'll definitely give it a shot.

yeah evrything will be covered with wax under the cover.

I have also used a dremel to cut through the solder so I could remove the cover.... saw that on a tech page!

I personally like exposed pickups, in the case of my 155... one was all black the other was a zebra underneath, just giving you notice you may get a little suprise.

M.M.

Use a flat tip on your iron...not the pointed tip. Just heat the solder and use a flathead screwdriver to slightly push" the cover away from the solder bead. Hold it a few seconds until the solder cures and do the other side. They should pop right off. If the wax is all over the bobbins, place the pickup on a paper towel and heat it with a blowdryer on medium heat.

Archived