Heritage Owners Club

buzzing amp

FrankV

Hi people

I am using a Fender Champion 300 amp with a H-535 (and occasionally a Fender Strat, but that's another story!). When I want to play at louder volumes, a get a buzzing or rattling sound when playing a low C, or in that range, a step above or below, but particularly on the C. It drives me freakin' crazy. I also get a sympathetic vibration from the duct work of the furnace, (I'm in the basement), but I'm narrowing down those and wedging stuff in the rattling parts.

My question about the amp is, can I take it apart and put it back together, taking care to glue the parts, maybe putting felt between surfaces, or anything like that? I think the cabinet is just particle board, held together with screws, and I think that's the source of the buzz. I've removed the little metal ID plate off the fabric grill, trying to find out what's rattling. Is it worth the effort, or will it just result in a big mess? Anyone here have a similar problem? and fixed it successfully.

And finally, when I'm ready to get serious, amp-wise, what should I be looking for? I want a fat, wet, sound; blues and rock. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi people

I am using a Fender Champion 300 amp with a H-535 (and occasionally a Fender Strat, but that's another story!). When I want to play at louder volumes, a get a buzzing or rattling sound when playing a low C, or in that range, a step above or below, but particularly on the C. It drives me freakin' crazy. I also get a sympathetic vibration from the duct work of the furnace, (I'm in the basement), but I'm narrowing down those and wedging stuff in the rattling parts.

My question about the amp is, can I take it apart and put it back together, taking care to glue the parts, maybe putting felt between surfaces, or anything like that? I think the cabinet is just particle board, held together with screws, and I think that's the source of the buzz. I've removed the little metal ID plate off the fabric grill, trying to find out what's rattling. Is it worth the effort, or will it just result in a big mess? Anyone here have a similar problem? and fixed it successfully.

And finally, when I'm ready to get serious, amp-wise, what should I be looking for? I want a fat, wet, sound; blues and rock. Thanks for any suggestions.

Have you tried raising it off the floor, on a chair maybe and put a cushion or foam underneath it ? My Blues Jnr at low volume causes a pedal carry case to rattle when playing a C# even when I have it raised and "cushioned" so the pedal case needs to be taken off the floor every time. At first I thought it was a vibration in the amp.

Have you tried raising it off the floor, on a chair maybe and put a cushion or foam underneath it ? My Blues Jnr at low volume causes a pedal carry case to rattle when playing a C# even when I have it raised and "cushioned" so the pedal case needs to be taken off the floor every time. At first I thought it was a vibration in the amp.

thanks for the reply. I actually have it sitting on an old feather pillow. I've tried putting it on a sawhorse off the floor, on it's side, putting clamps on it; now sitting on the pillow on the floor seems the best, but it still gives a buzz. I can't believe how fixated I've become about this!

Went thru something similar with a princeton reverb reissue I got a few months ago. Assuming it's a resonating frequency related to the cabinet, I started by turning it around, playing the suspect note and reached around 'holding' or dampening parts of the cab to locate the source. And I found 2, both of the top and bottom back covers were senstive so I took them off, each held with 4 screws, cut up a tire inner tube and used the rubber to isolate and/or better firm up the points where they touched the cab. Fixed it.

In looking for a new amp... fat/wet/blues/rock, well there are a lot of choices. Wet would indicate reverb so maybe try the Fender line - deluxe or vibrolux are pretty good places to start, but there's tons of variations of circuits/speakers. Figure out the budget, try as many as you can, and maybe post again with some additional criteria (combo, piggyback, weight, # of speakers, 'marshall vs fender vs mesa', etc).

Went thru something similar with a princeton reverb reissue I got a few months ago. Assuming it's a resonating frequency related to the cabinet, I started by turning it around, playing the suspect note and reached around 'holding' or dampening parts of the cab to locate the source. And I found 2, both of the top and bottom back covers were senstive so I took them off, each held with 4 screws, cut up a tire inner tube and used the rubber to isolate and/or better firm up the points where they touched the cab. Fixed it.

In looking for a new amp... fat/wet/blues/rock, well there are a lot of choices. Wet would indicate reverb so maybe try the Fender line - deluxe or vibrolux are pretty good places to start, but there's tons of variations of circuits/speakers. Figure out the budget, try as many as you can, and maybe post again with some additional criteria (combo, piggyback, weight, # of speakers, 'marshall vs fender vs mesa', etc).

Wow, great tip on troubleshooting! Will have to remember that one...

Thanks guys. I'll try what DC Ron suggests, I had a feeling that's probably the way to go. I've only got the one amp, so it's not on the front burner, as I'm afraid if I screw it up I'll be in trouble. I'm pretty sure it's the cabinet vibrating with certain frequencies. I want to start playing louder though, and see if I can get the air blowing out of the f holes like somebody was describing on another post. It seems like some of the tones I want will not come without volume. It's going to make me concentrate more on keeping unplayed strings quiet, but that's part of the fun, one thing after another!

Archived