Heritage Owners Club

Specs on an H140

jjkrause84

Guest tomdread
Apparently Heritage doesn't make these anymore...can anyone tell me what the deal is with these things? Are they just a poor man's 150?

No. Theyre a great sounding instrument.

NOT MY REVIEW

but on the money

Many players love the sound and look of a classic Les Paul, but hate carrying the weight of a 9+ pound Les Paul through an entire set. The Heritage H-140 is a interesting compromise for this dilemma. With a body that is slightly narrower (about a quarter inch) and much thinner (about like a Gibson SG), the H-140 has the sound and look of a Les Paul in a much, much lighter package. Mine tips the scales at around 7 pounds. This may not sound like a large difference, but your back will definitely feel the difference at the end of the night!

Heritage guitars was founded when a group of Gibson craftsmen from the original factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan decided not to move with Gibson to Nashville in 1985, instead founding their own company in the original factory. Their guitars tend to look like old Gibsons with a few cosmetic differences. In the case of the H-140, the guitar has a florentine cutaway as well as being thinner, and the bridge and tailpiece hardware is different than a regular Les Paul (as is the standard on most Heritage Les Paul-type guitars). The normal pickups are Schallers.

How does it sound? It sounds like a light, vintage Les Paul. It's rich and creamy, but with just a little more bite than a full-size Les Paul. The only drawback to the sound is that you don't get as much sustain when holding an individual note as you might on a heavy, full-size Les Paul. The standard bridge is a roller-type of bridge that lets you adjust the string spacing from side-to-side as well adjust the intonation. This is nice, but I believe the rollers detract from the guitar's sustain (they also tend to move around when changing strings so you have to be careful). The light body is also a factor, but I think the bridge exacerbates the sustain issue and I'll be putting a Nashville-style bridge on mine along with a regular Gibson tailpiece (this change definitely helped the sustain on my H-150). You can get bridge and tailpiece for as little as $45, so this is not an expensive change and all it takes is a couple screwdrivers and 30 minutes. [update: I did this mod and it worked well and did indeed increase sustain. I did it with inexpensive parts so it was a cheap and effective update.]

While the H-140 is no longer in production, H-140s usually sell for considerably less than Heritage's full-size H-150s (mine was around $650). For me, the light weight makes the guitar a joy to play and swing around. The neck has an awesome feel (not too fat, not too thin), the wood is top notch, and on mine, the cherry sunburst is pretty. Except for special circumstances, my heavier H-150 and Godin LGX-SA get set aside in favor of the H-140. It's a sweet little guitar.

They had a 140v2 in the previous catalog. This was similar in thickness, but did away with the Florentine cutaway to have the same shape as a 150. I've played a couple of 140s, and if it wasn't for the Millenium, I would still be looking for one. There are days when my back won't hold 9 1/2 lbs for long.

I would think the 137 would be more the "poor man's" LP, like the LP Junior, not having the maple cap, lighter weight, dot inlays, no binding.

Then again, you always have some wild guy doing just that to one! (right Brent?)

I don' own one but do get to play one as my friend Pete has one ( see it in the gallery) . It is a really nice guitar which took a while to grow on me, not I think a good one is brilliant. Nashville bridge and tail piece for me.

I have a 140cm and the longer I've owned it, the more I love it..It is lighter than a 150 as was mentioned earlier, and it screams like a banshee when you want it to. Plus I can beat the daylights out of it and it stays in tune..I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.. Maybe not as much sustain as a 150 has, but I use a bit of compression on my tone to make up for that, and I'm good to go.. I paid $1100 for mine but as it turned out it is from the first year they were made.. ;) or maybe second year if there are any 84's..

I have a first version H-140CM and it is excellent. With quality Heritage contruction and high grade woods, it's a winner.

The 2nd version is a good choice also.

Lighter than a 150, less expensive and with dots on the neck usually, it is a tone machine as well.

NOT MY REVIEW

How does it sound? It sounds like a light, vintage Les Paul. It's rich and creamy, but with just a little more bite than a full-size Les Paul. The only drawback to the sound is that you don't get as much sustain when holding an individual note as you might on a heavy, full-size Les Paul.

The neck has an awesome feel (not too fat, not too thin),

I do have an H140 1986, unmodified. It does not lack sustain at all, compared to other Les Pauls.

The neck is much slimmer than my H150, and it is about as heavy as my H150 with P90's. The H150 is 150grams heavier.

I believe that Heritage guitars are really individuals.

I do have an H140 1986, unmodified. It does not lack sustain at all, compared to other Les Pauls.

The neck is much slimmer than my H150, and it is about as heavy as my H150 with P90's. The H150 is 150grams heavier.

YEPPERS!!

Yeah, No lack of sustain on my 140 either. (or at least not that I notice in a negative way )

But mine has a chunky neck... I like it .

And yes, the new catalog has the 140 , 2nd version... like a thinner 150.

Archived