Heritage Owners Club

Custom Amp Covers?

tbonesullivan

OK, so one thing I really like is to have my amps under cover so that they don't get super dusty and get crud in the input jacks. I Have covers for all of my amps, except for my TSL122, and for my British-style X-100B Carvin head. Marshall is a popular brand, and the X-100B is the same size as a "vintage" marshall head: full 4x12 cabinet width and depth.. in other words, huge and heavy.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to get some covers for? I just want something vinyl. Doesn't need to be pleather with felt covering inside or anything fancy.

I found these guys on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Amp-Covers

By coincidence, that's the company I bought the cover from for my Avatar 4x10 bass cab, almost 2 years ago. I found them recommended by folks on some forum - no idea which at this point.

Great cover! Sturdy but light, fits perfectly, has cut-outs for the side handles exactly where they're supposed to be, very reasonably priced (based on comparison shopping), shipped promptly, no hassles at all. Haven't dealt with them since then, but thumbs up based on that experience. I think their regular website is amplifiercovers.com.

John

I use BS Covers (yes, BS! covers) for all of my amps. "600 denier, PVC backed Polyester (a vinyl lined, canvas-like material, similar to, but thicker than that of higher quality guitar gig-bags)" You give them the specs for the box, they custom build the cover.They even put the name of the amp on the cover. As in BS Covers - Dr.Z Carmen Ghia. Or you can order from patterns they already have. I've been extremely happy with the 4 covers I have, so far. And they seem to reasonably priced.

I've got Tuki covers for just about all my amps and cabs. Been using them for years and they still look band new.

+1

Tuki is all I use.

I've got Tuki covers for just about all my amps and cabs. Been using them for years and they still look band new.

+1

Tukis are excellent; still have one on my old Showman head.

am e-mailing back & forth w/Susan @ Studio Slips now; interesting story here for my Heritage heads

I've heard excellent things about the studio covers. I just had a service issue with her husband that left a bad taste in my mouth so...

I've heard excellent things about the studio covers. I just had a service issue with her husband that left a bad taste in my mouth so...

Uh ........... to comment or not to comment. Hmm, be a smart *ss or try to be not a smart *ss. Let me think on this one ............ ;)

Uh ........... to comment or not to comment. Hmm, be a smart *ss or try to be not a smart *ss. Let me think on this one ............ ;)

You wanna here my Mesa Super 60 (Mark I) service horros stories?!? ;);)

I buy a brand spankin' new Mesa Super 60 head (they where never called Mark I's until the Mark II came out), 100 watt, reverb, gain boost, graphic eq, export transformer, yadda yadda yadda. This was back when they were mail order only ('77 - '78). Within one week the amp dies. No sound. Zip. Zilch. Notta. Call up Mesa. They say whatever you do don't send it back here! They say get it fixed locally and send them the bill. One f@cking week old and they won't fix it. Well I get the amp fixed locally and proceed to rock out for a year or so. Then the graphic eq goes out. Zip. Zilch. Notta. Call Mesa again and same story - DON'T SEND IT BACK HERE! Again I get it fixed locally and rock out for another 10 - 12 years or so with only a couple of failed tubes here and there.

Flash forward to the late '80s early '90s and someone mentions the Mesa's in my era had a - gulp - solid state device in the pre-amp stage and that they sound so much better if you put a 12ax7 in there, but it requires a mod. Well sure enough my amp has the device, a Fetron if memory serves me right, so I take the amp to a local shop and have them do the mod. Well the amp comes back and it just sounds weak, anemic, no gain. Turns out the Fetron was a high gain device and you need to do another mod to the amp to make up for the lost gain. Well around this time I become friends with the manager of the local Mesa dealership. We chat and I decide to send the amp back to Mesa (through the shop) to have the mod done right. Well the amp comes back and sure enough the gain is there, but the thing squeels like a f@cking stuck pig if I turn the gain up above 6!!!

I call Mesa and speak with non other than Mike Bendenelli and he informs me "Oh yeah, they do that. Just turn up the master volume and turn down the gain." WTF? Do you send Carlos's amp out squeeling like a stuck pig?!? So much for Mesa's infinite sustain at whisper volume.

I eventually sold the amp (after having Jerry Blaha at Amp Crazy fix it) and have never looked back. That incident with BendOverAndTakeItUpTheAssInelli left a bad taste in mouth, so I won't support his wife's business. Nope. Notta. No way.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

Well, I just ordered my third cover from Studio Slips this week. They wear like iron, fit like a glove, and ended up becoming a selling point when I sold the amps.

DK about the other stuff - sorry about the Mesa story - but Mesa doesn't make these, Susan does. And she does right well. As I said, I am on cover #3. I am getting

one for a Roland Cube 80-X, with a pocket for the pedals and cables. One neat package.

I have no problems referring her work to anybody.

Well, I just ordered my third cover from Studio Slips this week. They wear like iron, fit like a glove, and ended up becoming a selling point when I sold the amps.

DK about the other stuff - sorry about the Mesa story - but Mesa doesn't make these, Susan does. And she does right well. As I said, I am on cover #3. I am getting

one for a Roland Cube 80-X, with a pocket for the pedals and cables. One neat package.

I have no problems referring her work to anybody.

Yes and her husband, who makes Mesa amps, told me it's normal for a Super 60 (Mark I) to squeal like a stuck pig. She aint getting my money.

Yes and her husband, who makes Mesa amps, told me it's normal for a Super 60 (Mark I) to squeal like a stuck pig. She aint getting my money.

I have no axe to grind with anybody. But if you have a grudge that is over thirty years old, then perhaps that, in itself, needs some examination.

You are talking about an amp here, not your first-born. We are all in the pursuit of tone and all that, but there are other things that, IMHO, deserve

more attention. But I'm a 70 year-old, so what do I know…...

I also believe that Randall Smith is the owner of Mesa - Mike may work there, DK for sure, but he is not the owner.

Studio Slips for me. Susan was very helpful, service was fast (UPS had it longer than it took Studio Slips to process and build my order), and the cover fits my Rambler like a condom (A padded brown Cordura condom :thumbsup: ).

4375121783_7e50cefb2d_b.jpg

I have no axe to grind with anybody. But if you have a grudge that is over thirty years old, then perhaps that, in itself, needs some examination.

You are talking about an amp here, not your first-born. We are all in the pursuit of tone and all that, but there are other things that, IMHO, deserve

more attention. But I'm a 70 year-old, so what do I know…...

I also believe that Randall Smith is the owner of Mesa - Mike may work there, DK for sure, but he is not the owner.

Three bad customer service experiences with Mesa needs examination? I'd say I deserve a medal for sticking with them and still liking their products. Maybe I should have my head examined! I've owned Mesa products since, and resist going and playing the Lonestar Special because I know I will want one, and am also awaiting the release of the Trans Atlantic because I'm pretty darn sure I will buy one.

As I said in my original post, I've used Tuki covers for years, they still look brand new, I've always had excellent customer service from the Mr. and Mrs. at Tuki. They will continue to get my business.

Three bad customer service experiences with Mesa needs examination?

It's a shame when a company forgets that it's the customer that pays their bills. Also a shame it left such a bitter taste. I've been there though...........

As I said in my original post, I've used Tuki covers for years, they still look brand new, I've always had excellent customer service from the Mr. and Mrs. at Tuki. They will continue to get my business.

I'd have likely gone with Tuki had they been available in Brown, but they weren't. I'm happy all the same.

It's a shame when a company forgets that it's the customer that pays their bills. Also a shame it left such a bitter taste. I've been there though...........

I'd have likely gone with Tuki had they been available in Brown, but they weren't. I'm happy all the same.

My Tuki Cover is brown..but it's pretty old, so I dunno.. :rolleyes:

well, I got my covers from Custom Amp covers, and they really do rock. Came nice and folded up in a box from Michigan (good things come from michigan!). The X-100B cover I got fits the head perfectly, and the felt inside is just nice. The TSL122 cover is also great, and even has the holes in the side for the side handles! the construction is sturdy, and they fit perfectly. Very happy with the purchase. These are definitely better than any "stock" cover I've gotten, though the Carvin covers are pretty cheap so who cares.

My Tuki Cover is brown..but it's pretty old, so I dunno.. :huh:

i have a brown one for my showman head, had a blue one for my Komet head, but traded that to Dean Farley for something. that was about 8-9 yrs ago. now looks like all they have is black...

i'll check the Custom Amp covers out. since i have 4 Heritage-size heads, it'd be convenient to be able to ID them w/o having to take 'em off to see which is which...

Archived