Heritage Owners Club

150 - 535 differences

FrankV

Hey people,

I've been curious about the 150 model. I've got a 535 with Seth Lover p/u's, and also a Strat with SCN 'noiseless' pickups. What I'd like to know is how much of a 'different' sound would you get going from the 535 to the 150? Using the same amp, just plug one in, then the other, what would you expect?

I know the answer from you lot if I ask if I should get a 150 ( !!! ) so how would you justify the expense. It seems like I get a good range of sounds from the 535, and can't figure out how much different the 150 can be made to sound. Especially if it's got similar hardware. I could go with different pups, but then is the difference due to the pups, or the guitar itself?

Also, what's the deal with the 150, and the 150CM? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but the Heritage site doesn't go into a whole lot of detail (at least I haven't found it). I've seen some reference to 'chambered', or 'weight relieved', is that right?

Thanks for any info about this model.

The H150 would have a more "thick, meaty" sound to it. Think rock 'n' roll!

The "CM" stands for "Curly Maple" top. Chambered 150s are designated "LW" for "Light Weight."

I don't get as great a difference between the 157 and the 535 both with the standard Schallers as I get between my G&L Legacy (strat) and Asat (tele). There you have both the guitar difference and the pickup difference.

You get a more rounded sound out of the 535. The semi hollow has a bass with more bloom. The top end is clear but not as sharp. The 150 ( and 157) are tighter with the high end having more crispness and bite. The bottom end is not quite as full. The overall character is similar, but the balance is changed. Comparing to my Milli with Seth Lovers, it has a whole different character, especially in the mids.

If you want to have a difference between the two, the easiest way is to make sure they have different pickups.

just the feel and overall tonal quality is different, due to the construction. the H150 is a solid piece of 'hog and maple, and usually weighs quite a bit. You get thick sustain out of it, creamy overdrive. It's a very solid feeling guitar.

The 535 is much more boomy and you get a lot more meat to the sound, but not the same thick sustain. Also it's lighter feeling, and in some ways more responsive than the H150, which is a sustain machine. They are both great instruments though. No collection is complete with out both styles.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. The Google search was really useful, and the YouTube comparison of the two models was good, too. I think at this point I'm going to stick with the 535 and the Strat; between the two I can get lots of variety. Throw in a pedal or two and that's great for now. Seeing all the great H150's on this site, and for sale here and elsewhere got ,me itchin' for something different. Given the dodgy economy and all that, I'll hold off. (At least that's the plan for now!)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. The Google search was really useful, and the YouTube comparison of the two models was good, too. I think at this point I'm going to stick with the 535 and the Strat; between the two I can get lots of variety. Throw in a pedal or two and that's great for now. Seeing all the great H150's on this site, and for sale here and elsewhere got ,me itchin' for something different. Given the dodgy economy and all that, I'll hold off. (At least that's the plan for now!)

I hear ya on the economy..i was hoping to get a H-137 TV this year but it looks like i'm going to be paying some steep health insurance premiums, so i'll just keep playing my H-140cm and grinning.. :huh:

if you want a bigger/fatter sound out of the strat you could always get the SD pickup booster. It is good as a clean boost, but also has switches to "fatten up" single coil pickups.

Best way to fatten up single coils?

An EF86 amp... :D

Archived