Heritage Owners Club

Tom Short Undercover Minis

slider313

After a couple of months with the prototype undercover mini's, I felt my 140 needed a slightly brighter tone. My 140 is a solid, punchy guitar. Some guitars are very resonant and woody and need a warmer pickup, not this one. I had Tom wind a set with alnico IV magnets and that made a big difference. The tone of the pickup was the same but with the A4 magnets you can hear more of the wood and it gave the guitar just the right amount of ring. If your guitar is resonant and woody, go with A2's but if it's solid and punchy; and you feel it needs a brighter/woodier tone, go with the A4's.

Picture1133.jpg

Thanks Scott. This 140 needs a pickup that's transparent and has some ring. I've tried more than a few and most of the brighter ones usually get too much of a top end bite. Tom's pickups seem to breathe more than most and the top end doesn't have that bite.

Sounds like you've got a good ear for pickup tone.

I have a bunch that I like, but that ability to breathe seems to add the magic ingredient.

The detailing on the bottom of them is pretty cool also....

Mike, I spoke to Tom today and maybe we will have the "John Kuziak Windy City Tele pickups".

He going to try something different in the neck pup for me. (Of course I know the secret spin, but Tom/I don't want to let the secret out yet, LOL).

He is a GREAT guy and will work with you until you get the tone you want.

Congrats on your new "signature" pups!!!!!!

Mike, I spoke to Tom today and maybe we will have the "John Kuziak Windy City Tele pickups".

He going to try something different in the neck pup for me. (Of course I know the secret spin, but Tom/I don't want to let the secret out yet, LOL).

Hmmm...Windy city pickups for John, Some might think that name appropriate...just sayin :D

Hmmm...Windy city pickups for John, Some might think that name appropriate...just sayin :D

Sorry, I don't get it??? :D

Wow, John! Great minds...! I'm expecting a pair of Tom's Windy City Tele pickups in any minute! Talked with him 'bout a week-and-a-half ago. Pulled my '52 reissue apart and got rid of the poly finish. Sanded and sanded; stained it, then buffed with a paste wax. Shiny but really old looking. Nice piece of lumber under that hideous poly, which popped off in chunks the size of credit cards. Hoping the tone will improve, so I thought while I was at it, new p'ups. Tom's humbuckers are so good, there's no reason to go anywhere else for pickups. Anxious to get it back together....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. We've come up with another choice for those not looking for a low wind pickup; The Hot Undercover Mini. The standard low winds are 5.9K neck and 6.6K bridge. The "Hots" are 6.3K neck and 7.2K bridge.

Archived