Heritage Owners Club

Need opinions

brentrocks

Maybe this has been covered before, but a lot of new people have joined in the past few weeks since i have joined. 

What is the biggest difference between the stock Shallers and the HRWs?

The reason i'm wondering is because i was thinking about taking my 170 down to Ren and upgrading it to HRWs.  But I'm wondering if it is cost effective?  (worth the coin?)

What are your feelings?

Not the definitive voice of authority, but....  You need to keyword search the forum.  Quite a bit has been posted here on the topic in the last two or three months, most of it the voice of experience, given the subjective nature of tone.  I had Schallers in my 150, and I liked them a lot.  Many here vastly prefer a variety of humbuckers, the HRW's getting almost exclusively very good reviews.  Seek and ye shall find, young man.  I hope to post an mp3 with my 150 and the Schallers before the weekend is out.  Good luck, Brent.  Knowing you as we do, I'm sure you'll opt for a pickup change....              ;)

I have the HRWs in my 555.  They sound good, but they are pretty hot.  I have Seth Lovers in my 157.  When I plug in my 555 after playing my 157, I have to knock down all the settings on my amp and pedals down a bit.

I think I like the Lovers better.  The HRWs are almost too dynamic/sensitive.

Hope this helps.

I have the HRWs in my 555.  They sound good, but they are pretty hot.  I have Seth Lovers in my 157.  When I plug in my 555 after playing my 157, I have to knock down all the settings on my amp and pedals down a bit.

I think I like the Lovers better.  The HRWs are almost too dynamic/sensitive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks LH...i like hot!!!  i play a lot of hard rock, so maybe that is the ticket?  i wonder if the HRWs come "uncovered"?  maybe i'll call Ren and ask

I just called Ren

First he said  "it will be a month before he can get to it because everybody wants them right now!"  "and that it would be $225 out the door"    seems pretty reasonable to me.

Based on MY experience and MY opinion:

Schallers = OK. Not bad, but adequate.

HRWs = Awesome!

SD Seth Lovers = Rawk & Roll, baby!

SD '59s = good tone, but somewhat muddy

As always, YMMV!

Archived