Heritage Owners Club

Looking at better amps now.

I need some input from the foks who have played better amps. I played through a friends Bad Cat Black Cat amp and it makes all of my amps sound rather sickly. I'm looking to upgrade my amp choices. If you were to pick between a Dr Z Carmen Ghia and a Juke Vamp 112, price not an issue, what would you chose? I'm still sticking with low wattage amps.

I've got a Z Carmen Ghia. As the Doc adverstises, don't let the 18 watts fool you. It is one loud amp for 18 watts. 2 controls - volume, tone (which is really a cut ala Vox). You can get some jangly cleans on the lower vol settings. Turning up the vol past about 10:00 puts it into crunch/od territory. After about 12:00 it doesn't really get any louder, just dirtier; ballsier. The tone works much the same; after about 2:00 it becomes more of a fat boost effect, than a cut. One thing about the Ghia is it reacts very noticably to tube swaps. Some amps you think "well, there's some difference". Not with the Ghia; tube swaps can change the whole character. The circuitry is minimal; think tweed style builds where there were just enough wires to get the sound to the speakers. B) For Dr. Z amps, the Ghia a relatively inexpensive foray into the Z world. The man makes some monster amps. I'd love to try an RxJr. Again, 18 watts, but with a full tone stack. Or the Maz18 which has a tone stack bypass. That would be cool. Overbuilt cabs, like the Mesas.

Played in a band last year with a guy that had a Bad Cat. Very nice amp. Very Voxxy. Very heavy. Very loud. Very expensive. My very chinese Vox sounded as good to my ears. For being offshore amps, the Vox AC30CC line is a darned good product. They're not cheap, either. And very heavy. I know you were'nt asking about the Vox amps. But you did mention them, and the one BC I've experience with was based heavily on the Vox.

May have to look up the Juke Vamp112.

There are just so many choices now! So much "boutique" equipment all over the place, much of it terrific. To second Kenny, I plugged my Tele into a friend's Carmen Ghia at a jam about two years ago; first time I'd heard of them. One spank, and I thought, "Well, that's it!" Then I went ahead with a custom build, done by a good friend. So pleased with that, I'm having the same guy, George Bitar, do another one for me. I've had a lot of fun on-line, too, checking out small builders who advertise in places such as Vintage Guitar. You just have to do your research and know what it is you want. Then, if you're willing to part with some dough, you can get a mighty satisfactory box...or two. Good luck in The Quest, pegleg!

Such good advice so far... not much more to ad. Nice choices, tho, and bet either one would be a great amp. Have played thru various Zs and they're defeinitely good sounding, well built amps. Like most tube amps, they have a 'sweet spot' or that is a volume level they need to reach before they give up 'the goods'.

I've only read about Juke amps (in VG, same reference point as Rob) and from a review thought that they would be an amp I'd like to try. Definitely 'reads' like a nice amp, but there aren't any around my area to try. An amp that 'reads' similar to the Juke is the Swart Atomic Space Tone... not to try and distract you from the 2 you've listed as they're really nice amps, too, and you likely can't go wrong with any of them. If I were going to try and decide on an amp from youtube clips and various discussions, I'd probably include this one in the mix as it's similar - seems quite similar to the Juke in fact (and it's on my 'lust 'list so thought I'd include it).

Good luck - half the fun is in the hunt. Let us know what you find.

Randy

The Carmen Ghia has ben my main amp for close to ten years now. Pair it with an Alnico Blue and it's a match made in heaven - sounds great with other speakers too. Gotta disagree with tulk1 on the tone control - it's NOT like a Vox cut. Fully counter clockwise the treble is full up and there is no bass. As you roll the knob towards noon, the bass starts to come up but the treble is unaffected (or minimally affected). At noon (or thereabouts) both bass and treble are full up. Then as you continue clockwise the bass stays full up, but the treble begins to roll off. At fully clockwise the bass is full up and the treble rolled off. Obviously the sweet spot is somewhere around noon - usually 10:00 to 2:00 o'clock depending on the guitar. Simple, straightforward and pure. The Ghia has a wonderful clean tone that transition so smoothly to crunch and ends up pretty darn balls out when the volume is cranked. And like everyone else has mentioned - it's a LOUD 18 watt.s

longtimefan of both brands here. had a Ghia once & liked it a lot, of course. been a Juke (Warbler) owner for years.

if you haven't seen Noah Miller's Vamp review, here ya go

not a Vamp, but LeonC's review of the Coda roolz. the Vamp'll be similar with its tone, reverb, tremolo-vibrato, but with lower output & non-master volume.

the Ghia is a great sounding amp. mine was a head that worked with a variety of cabs & speakers. liked it best w/alnico 12's (2x12). not enough clean headroom for me, but it would've made a great recording amp. all of Z's amps are great in terms of build, regardless of their relatively low cost. i had 5 of them (a Studio Lead 4xEL84, 3 Rte 66's <sheesh>)

As always, you guys' responses are thoughtful and include lots of helpful info. Nice review Jeff, that helps too.

If anyone is interested in a Juke Warbler at what appears to be a steal, Here is one. Just too many wattsees for me or I would be on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There is also a Heritage Patriot that is interesting, but again too many wattsees:

I'm looking at these guys:

Juke: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Dr Z: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As always, you guys' responses are thoughtful and include lots of helpful info. Nice review Jeff, that helps too.

If anyone is interested in a Juke Warbler at what appears to be a steal, Here is one. Just too many wattsees for me or I would be on it:

There is also a Heritage Patriot that is interesting, but again too many wattsees:

I'm looking at these guys:

Juke: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Dr Z: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

couple-few observations:

- the Warbler 112 is my grab&go amp. works great for 90% of my outside activities & gets plaudits from bluesers, rockers, & jazzers alike. great master volume + lower-wattage control ("Triode" mode, apx 17w, but i rarely use it. a jazzy friend does, tho)

- the Juke Vamp for sale above is by the builder. great guy near Troy, NH. loved talking to Gary Croteau the few times i have

- the Patriot is killer for BF tones that get all tweedy when it starts to clip (which is maybe a bit on the, uh, raucous side B))

- all my amps (Heritages & Jukes) take OD pedals great.

O.Y. ("oh yeah...") note: the Juke Rave will have one less tone control, add a Master vol., go down to 6watts, and take either EL84 or 6V6. if yer thinking of a Juke, call Gary & discuss what you're looking for. might save you time & expense, will IMHO be worth it.

Archived