Heritage Owners Club

Rewiring the 140

TalismanRich

Playing the 140, I noticed that the tone controls on the pickup were somewhat "strange". It rolled off quite a bit faster that it should and interacted with the volume pot a lot.

So I popped the cover and found that it was wired "modern style" with independent volume control using two .01uf ceramic caps in parallel ( the caps go center lug to center lug). That should have been close to the normal .022 uf cap electrically since parallel caps are additive, but it didn't sound quite right.

So I pulled out a couple of .022uF metal film caps, and rewired to the "50s" style.

It is SO much better. The volume control no longer kills all the top end when you roll it down.

Now I'm back to comparing the 157 and the 140.

Seems that the 157 is still fuller, but also clearer. The 140 seems to drive the amp a little bit harder with both the neck and bridge pickups. Both have the stock Schallers but there was some 15 years between the time they were made. I haven't measured the resistance yet.

Final update on the 140... I added some Schaller straplocks. The Heritage strap is so stiff compared to my Onori straps that it was a pain to put it on the buttons.

Now it's ready to head to Michigan this summer!

Archived