Heritage Owners Club

tone report, h530

eljay

hello, all. as might be guessed, i've played my h530 a doggone lot since it arrived--mostly thru a princeton reverb clone.

it's a bit brighter than i expected. being a full hollow body, i was thinking it might gib 335-ish in over tonal character. i guess the p90 factor trumps the hollow factor on this guy. not complaining! ;)

brightness aside, the sound is very rich, full, and complex.

the axe is very light--a selling point with me--and is set up in "middle of the road" fashion which might well be the try-to-please-everyone factory spec. i'd like the action to be a bit lower and i'm confident that a competent technician will deliver on that score.

no feedback yet, none! i'm a living room player and don't get to nutzoid volumes, but, regardless of pickup switch position, clean or with OD, i've heard nary a peep of feedback.

that's the short of it.

now, a question for y'all. of course i must get another H.

having a boatload of xlnt solid body axes, i don't want a 140, 150, 157, etc.

thinking foremost of a 535. however, this 530 thing is mighty nice and the notion of a 530 with, say, seth lovers, intrigues me. dennis weaver advises me that 530 costs more than 535 out of the gate, but, for the right sound, i'll pony up.

maybe some of the wonderful tone the 335 is known for is the result of semi-hollow construction; do ya think a HB-equipped full hollow will deliver a similar tone?

thanks for reading and, perhaps, sharing a thought. eljay

hello, all. as might be guessed, i've played my h530 a doggone lot since it arrived--mostly thru a princeton reverb clone.

it's a bit brighter than i expected. being a full hollow body, i was thinking it might gib 335-ish in over tonal character. i guess the p90 factor trumps the hollow factor on this guy. not complaining! ;)

brightness aside, the sound is very rich, full, and complex.

the axe is very light--a selling point with me--and is set up in "middle of the road" fashion which might well be the try-to-please-everyone factory spec. i'd like the action to be a bit lower and i'm confident that a competent technician will deliver on that score.

no feedback yet, none! i'm a living room player and don't get to nutzoid volumes, but, regardless of pickup switch position, clean or with OD, i've heard nary a peep of feedback.

that's the short of it.

now, a question for y'all. of course i must get another H.

having a boatload of xlnt solid body axes, i don't want a 140, 150, 157, etc.

thinking foremost of a 535. however, this 530 thing is mighty nice and the notion of a 530 with, say, seth lovers, intrigues me. dennis weaver advises me that 530 costs more than 535 out of the gate, but, for the right sound, i'll pony up.

maybe some of the wonderful tone the 335 is known for is the result of semi-hollow construction; do ya think a HB-equipped full hollow will deliver a similar tone?

thanks for reading and, perhaps, sharing a thought. eljay

Well if you want a 335 tone then you must get a 535 with Seths.

There you go, short & sweet!

Thanks for the tone report, LJ. Put up some pics when you get a chance - we've not seen many 530s here. Brightness, eh? P90s being single coil are a bit brighter than humbuckers - can perhaps try lowering the pole pieces on the top strings a bit to see if you get to a place of balance that betters suits your taste. Kuz and my (and Jazzpunk's) 525 I would think are a bit similar in voicing being hollow w/P90s - the neck is pretty warm to my ears, the bridge bright although in a good/funky way. In between position also pretty bright sounding. I do use the tone control on the bridge pu, rolling it down/up depending on what it sounds like in the mix at the time.

Check out Brentrocks posting on his new acoustic - he mentions putting his 535 custom up for sale. That's one NICE guitar.

Are you bringing the 530 to Parson's Street in August? Be nice to play the 530/535/525s together as a little compare.

Are you bringing the 530 to Parson's Street in August? Be nice to play the 530/535/525s together as a little compare.

yes, i am. the 530 makes the trip with me. i'm looking forward to the comparos, among many things!

yes, i am. the 530 makes the trip with me. i'm looking forward to the comparos, among many things!

Excellent! I gotta figure out which (of the 4) Heritages to bring. I'm limited in space in the car... They've all been to a PSP except the 150 so maybe that'll be the one to bring although the 525 and 555 should come along for different reasons.

Have spent a bit of time in Parker and Longmont although haven't gotten up to Fort Collins. Pretty country over there.

longmont is dangerously close to Wildwood Guitars! but, so is fort collins, for that matter ;)

good thing for my household budget that ww doesn't carry H. my H dealer is in florida!

colorado is supremely beautiful in the summer.

If you want to explore the 535 aspect of Heritage, but want something a bit different whilst staying with the semi/hollow style, you simply must check out the Prospect. Very reasonable pricewise, even with mods/upgrades. Dennis can check this out for you. Here's mine with PhatCats.

custom-prospect-fullfront.jpgprospect-csutom-body3.jpg

Another nearly hidden gem, except for those of us that have them and know them (which I guess means they aren't all that hidden) is the Millennium. Which we call the Millie. Semi-solid construction, vs semi-hollow. The block is carved with and fully attached to the rims. I have one that is a flat back, without F-Holes. Which gets it more into the 150LW range. It would be more semi if I'd gotten f-holes. I've also had one that was arched Top/Back and was as semi/hollow as they come. Here's a pic of each.

Millie NFH Custom

2008Millie_kle.jpg

Millie SAE

mil-sae-incase2.jpg

adding 3 more pics:

DSC00557a.jpg

DSC00564a.jpg

DSC00574a.jpg

thanks for looking; hope you like!

adding 3 more pics:

DSC00557a.jpg

DSC00564a.jpg

DSC00574a.jpg

thanks for looking; hope you like!

Man!! That's a beauty..with P-90's to boot!! ;)

Archived