Heritage Owners Club

HELP!

Trouble

Keep it in the sun light with a fan on it. Leave it open. If you close it and keep it in a dark place, mold and mildew will start to develope . . . then you might as well throw it away. The mildew spores will start to eat away at the nitro and any celluloid that might be on the guitar. If you put the guitar in the case and there is the slightest bit of moisture, it will corrode the electronics as well as the plating on the hardware. Now, on the other hand, if you have an H150 gold top, and you want it to look and smell like it's been under a bed in southern Louisana for the last 55 years, just put it in the case and leave it there without opening it for a few months ;) On a serious note, I would not put the guitar in the case for at least a few weeks of constant ait and sun drying.

Keep it in the sun light with a fan on it. Leave it open. If you close it and keep it in a dark place, mold and mildew will start to develope . . . then you might as well throw it away. The mildew spores will start to eat away at the nitro and any celluloid that might be on the guitar. If you put the guitar in the case and there is the slightest bit of moisture, it will corrode the electronics as well as the plating on the hardware. Now, on the other hand, if you have an H150 gold top, and you want it to look and smell like it's been under a bed in southern Louisana for the last 55 years, just put it in the case and leave it there without opening it for a few months ;) On a serious note, I would not put the guitar in the case for at least a few weeks of constant ait and sun drying.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. It's taking forever though. First time in over 20 years I ever got a case wet. On the upside, guitar was on a stand when it happened.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. It's taking forever though. First time in over 20 years I ever got a case wet. On the upside, guitar was on a stand when it happened.

This may take a bit of time.. the wet vac is a cool idea...

And I was thinking that maybe as you air it out , you set it so gravity pulls the water out . ....if there is still a good amount of moisture.

I used to race bicycles. In multi-day stage races, there was nothing worse than wearing sodden shoes the day after being caught in a downpour. The cure for soaked shoes was to jam them full of balled up newspaper overnight. It wicks up moisture like nobody's business! Might want to try balling up a bunch of newspaper and jamming the case closed on it for twelve hours. Take that paper out and replace it for another twelve to get most of the moisture out. Then you could let it sit in the sun.

4964225b9da0f587af26c010l.jpg

And I thought this was going to be a Beatles thread...

Good luck with the case.

Thats funny! Thanks everyone, the newspaper idea is cool i was actually thinking of rice still in bag with holes in bag but newspaper might be better. Case feels dry but every time i put guitar in it to check it there will be moisture on the top. Been trying to dry it out about 2 weeks.

my vote- throw that b*tch away and get a new case...don't ruin your guitar... Mark

I have a hard time trashing anything music related. If I cant save it i will reupholster it.

4964225b9da0f587af26c010l.jpg

And I thought this was going to be a Beatles thread...

Good luck with the case.

Good post, GuitArtMan

Archived