Heritage Owners Club

Prices of old Gibson Archtops

GrandpaLarry

I was watching the Ebay auction of a 1956 Gibson L-37 which ended today. It brought almost $700.00.

I am constantly surprised at how much value musicians and collectors put on old Kalamazoo made instruments. Even with the quality of Asian guitars getting better and better, and the prices getting cheaper and cheaper, people still want the "real" thing. Keep in mind that the L-37 was Gibson's cheapest guitar!

Actually, I wouldn't mind having that axe myself.

I was watching the Ebay auction of a 1956 Gibson L-37 which ended today. It brought almost $700.00.

I am constantly surprised at how much value musicians and collectors put on old Kalamazoo made instruments. Even with the quality of Asian guitars getting better and better, and the prices getting cheaper and cheaper, people still want the "real" thing. Keep in mind that the L-37 was Gibson's cheapest guitar!

Actually, I wouldn't mind having that axe myself.

Kalamazoo made Gibson archtops . . . . a true blue chip investment!!!

I remember back when I had my 575, I was out at a local music store when I spotted 3 vintage ES-175's in the 6K-11K range. I paused and thought to myself, 'Don't play them man or you'll forever be lusting after something you can't afford!'

Despite my own warning, I sat down and spent the next hour playing each axe. After putting the last vintage beauty down I was 100% satisfied that my 575 was on par, if not better than, those coveted instruments!

Nostalgia's a helluva thing aint it?

I remember back when I had my 575, I was out at a local music store when I spotted 3 vintage ES-175's in the 6K-11K range. I paused and thought to myself, 'Don't play them man or you'll forever be lusting after something you can't afford!'

Despite my own warning, I sat down and spent the next hour playing each axe. After putting the last vintage beauty down I was 100% satisfied that my 575 was on par, if not better than, those coveted instruments!

It's attitudes like this that are spoiling the Vintage Market! ............... :thumbsup:

If and when I'm in a position to afford another Heritage, the 575 is the one I want. Short scale, solid top, full hollow, and that wonderful Kalamazoo Kraftsmanship. Like the song says, "You ask me, it's got it all."

I told this before but what about 7-8 yrs ago I sold my "trapeze" '65 335 for about 11K (paid 2K). The motivating factor was the 555 I owned at the time, played better, had unworn frets, and sounded equally as good. I used this money toward financing my current Heritage collection.

Now if the '65 335 had been a stoptail... well I provably never would have sold it. But I agree Heritages sound vintage with modern playability!

I know where you're coming from. I stopped in Willcutt in Lexington KY a while back. I played around with several 335s just to see how they felt and sounded. The new ones sounded pretty lifeless to me (all unplugged). Then I picked up one that had that nice balanced sound. It was obviously used. I looked at the tag and it was a late 60s 335. It sounded a LOT like my... 535!

I wouldn't trade my used 535 for one of those brand spanking new 335s.

I'm not up on vintage prices or that model but I was surprised it went that cheap...sounds like a good investment assuming it is in good shape. You could probably play it for 10 years and make a profit when selling it as well.

Archived