Heritage Owners Club

pickup experiments

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

Last night I got out a few guitars, set the volume and tone on 10, and ran them through my amp at the same settings.

Results:

535 with SLs vs. 555 with HRWs: definite tone difference and the Seths seem slightly louder.

155 SLs vs. Milli DC HRWs: not sure there's any volume difference but SLs more thundery.

Three 155s all with SLs each had different tone and somewhat different volume output.

Milli DC with HRWs vs. 555 with HRWs: Milli is slightly louder.

Brent's Luczak with Dimarzio Super Distortions: OMG! They are really hot. This is no joke! The hounds of hell were unleashed. I couldn't believe it. I dropped the volume down to 6 to match what the others were doing at 10.

Lessons:

1. It's hard to predict what a guitar will sound like until you play it.

2. Parental guidance is suggested when using the Super Distortions.

Guest mgoetting
Keep in mind the distance from the strings, including the pole pieces, will impact the volume and tone

Absolutely. And strings as well. Although all of these are the same gauge, they are different brands and batches.

I posted this because I was surprised at the sound differences. The results of this comparison reinforce the skepticism I have for claims people make. It would be easy to misattribute sound characteristics.

Guest mgoetting
How many Heritages do you have? Wish I had enough to do a test like that! ;)

Every decade or so I go on guitar buying binges, sell most of them off and keep a couple.

Then I get my meds adjusted. :lol:

Cool Review there...

I like to read these kind of side by side reviews... with some specifics about the conditions, as you gave.

Obviously the more controlled the environment, the more comparable the results.

I have a 140 with a Super Distortion and that guitar is very fun... hot , hot, hot... great to rock.

And... good luck with the meds.. ;)

Keep in mind the distance from the strings, including the pole pieces, will impact the volume and tone

Yes. I'd say pickup setup is as important as the pickup itself. I setup any pickup to sound bad!!!

Brent's Luczak with Dimarzio Super Distortions: OMG! They are really hot. This is no joke! The hounds of hell were unleashed. I couldn't believe it. I dropped the volume down to 6 to match what the others were doing at 10.

Well, yeah! They are wound up to about 14K, if memory serves! That's a lot of wire!

Well, yeah! They are wound up to about 14K, if memory serves! That's a lot of wire!

those kind of pickups Scare me!! Makes all the mistakes I make that much louder.. ;) That's why I like p-90's and PAF types..My 2 cents..

Archived