Heritage Owners Club

Four 150s Shoot Out (Sound Files)

Kuz

I find it very interesting that most of the folks (including me) labeled #1 as the P90's.

The big surprise to me are the Tombuckers! Really great Pickups and compared to the Throbaks a bargain too.

I've listened to them carefully again, and still like the Greeny Throbacks best. Has a more scooped sound than the Marc Fords. To my ear, more like the P-90s but having cleaner "clean" tones that the P-90s didn't muster.

I suppose part of the differences could be in the guitar set up. Do the pup heights vary much from one guitar to the others?

I've listened to them carefully again, and still like the Greeny Throbacks best. Has a more scooped sound than the Marc Fords. To my ear, more like the P-90s but having cleaner "clean" tones that the P-90s didn't muster.

I suppose part of the differences could be in the guitar set up. Do the pup heights vary much from one guitar to the others?

Well, I do try to find the sweet spot in the pickup heights and balance that with the volume output between the bridge and neck pups, but amazingly all the 150s are within 1/32 on height differences.

I too agree that the Throbaks sound best, big sounding, articulate, without the mud. I really like the Tom Shorts too.

I most confess that my 150 P-90 and Greeny with the Throbaks I believe are the pick of the litter. SLIGHTLY better wood and would probably sound great with the Tom Shorts as well. But the consistency of the Throbaks is remarkable with the 2 sets I have. To my ears the Throbaks are closer to p-90s in clarity and articulation, but definitely retain the qualities of humbuckers.

I too agree that the Throbaks sound best, big sounding, articulate, without the mud. I really like the Tom Shorts too.

I most confess that my 150 P-90 and Greeny with the Throbaks I believe are the pick of the litter. SLIGHTLY better wood and would probably sound great with the Tom Shorts as well. But the consistency of the Throbaks is remarkable with the 2 sets I have. To my ears the Throbaks are closer to p-90s in clarity and articulation, but definitely retain the qualities of humbuckers.

You said like I meant to. There is a bit of muddiness with the Marc Fords, and the Throbaks do seem to have much of bite of a single coil and versatility of humbuckers.

I'm glad you posted the sound clips; it gives a good frame of reference for forming preferences. I've thought about swapping out the Shallers in my recently acquired 150P -provided I keep it long term. There remains the possibility it could stay in Oz when I return to the U.S.

Archived