Heritage Owners Club

Four 150s Shoot Out (Sound Files)

Kuz

OK, I thought I would have a little fun here.

I have a link to a 1 minute audio file for each of my FOUR 105s.

-Each song/audio file starts on the neck pup for approx 30secs and the 30sec bridge pup. The Volume & Tone knobs are full up on all guitars

-All settings are identical: Amp, OD pedal, Volume, Panning, Mastering, Strings, Pick, Input cord, and I tried to equally suck on the playing of all four guitars (mission accomplished there! LOL)

I will give a picture and brief description of each guitar (THE ORDER OF THE DESCRIBED GUITARS IS NOT THE ORDER OF THE SONGS/AUDIO FILES).

Your job is to match the GUITARS WITH THE CORRECT AUDIO FILES. I buy the first drink to the winner at PSP3. In event of a tie, please also list a description of which amp you think I used (same on all recordings). I don't want a specific amp, but what does it sound like to you (ie EL34 Marshal, 6L6 Blackface, 6V6 Tweed, ect...).

There are VERY subtle differences in tone in each guitar. One should be easy to get (the P-90 150) the other 3 are much more difficult, but I can hear athe slight differences.

These clips MAY also serve as a source of tonal audio clips to compare pickups.

Let's make this fun. The sound clips were done quickly at 2:00 AM (I know they aren't great, that's not the point).

1. 150 Gold top with Lollar p-90s ("Sean")

webedit-2129.jpg

2. 150 with Throbak pickups ("Greeny")

Greeny2.jpg

3. 150 Blur/Quilt with Tom Short 'Marc Ford Tomuckers' pickups ("Yodder")

Yoder.jpg

4. 150 Gold top with Tom Short 'Marc Ford Tombuckers' pickups ("Robben")

_DSC2166-Editweb.jpg

LINK TO AUDIO FILES

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=933379

Good luck,

John

My favorite is Yodder with the Tombuckers. All great clips, but i like the extra bite that one has in the bridge position.

Great experiment!

Dude, the skim reading again..... LOL

I didn't give out the order of which guitar is with which audio file yet. :D

THIS IS A CONTEST TO SEE IF YOU CAN MATCH WHICH GUITAR WITH WHICH AUDIO FILE!!!!

Now, try again! :P

Would you guys like me to PM you the results personally or just wait a couple days and give the results out publicly after those that wish to guess have had a chance?

Would you guys like me to PM you the results personally or just wait a couple days and give the results out publicly after those that wish to guess have had a chance?

Either way is fine. But a PM would be cool, as long as we can manage to hold our tongue for others guessing..

Either way is fine. But a PM would be cool, as long as we can manage to hold our tongue for others guessing..

I'd be happy to send out PMs on members guess.

DON'T FORGET TO GUESS WHAT TYPE OF AMP IT SOUNDS LIKE IN CASE OF A TIE!!!

I don't know the dif between the 3 hbs. I think #1 is the P90 pups. I'd place the order of sound from thin to thick as 1, 4, 3, 2 and my order of preference as 1, 4, 2, 3. I'll be interested in learning which is which.

Ta

PS - All sound excellent and nice playing !l!

Nice, tasty playing, John!! Thanks for running these. Can hear the subtle differences between, but I've really no clue which is which. So, wild guess -

1) P90s

2) Throbaks

3) Robben

4) Yodder

3 and 4 sound most similar to me, so I'd guess these have the same pus w/the Marc Fords.

Ampwise... I'll say el34 as it doesn't really sound either bf or tweed to me, but hard to tell w/the od running.

Fun, John - nice stuff.

I liked the neck on #3 and the bridge on #1. No clue what is what.

edit: Oh forgot the amp. It's one of your smaller tweedys. Probably one of the amps you're selling. Maybe the Falcon you sold to Lyle?

Hey Kuz, I'm not going to try to guess which is which, I'm no good at that, but I can tell you the one I like best. I thought #4 was much nicer than the other 3. Whatever that is, I want one.

I still like the last one: 01 For the Bird.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm not playing along.)

Well that one was my McInturff Carolina Custom with Throbaks.

And for the amp...... VOX TONELAB LE modeler (pod) set to 68 Plexi through a virtual 4x12 T-75s & Tube Screamer pedal!!!!! (both the Plexi and the tube screamer are modeled. No external effects used. Recorded direct).

Good playing. Here goes my guess

The first two sound similar enough that I'm betting they're the Tombuckers but I'm guessing which guitar is which. The third clip sounded more cutting so I'm thinking P90, and the last is the guitar left over.

1-Bobben

2-Yodder

3-Sean

4-Greeny

Not much of an idea on amps except that it didn't seem to have that chimey Fender sound.

Well, nice response so far to the contest, but the results are not so good except one entree.

Nobody got any of them right, except one person that got 3 out of 4!!!!

Well, nice response so far to the contest, but the results are not so good except one entree.

Nobody got any of them right, except one person that got 3 out of 4!!!!

How do you get 3 out of 4?

How do you get 3 out of 4?

Whoops, you are right. Someone got two right and had the other two wrong. As it happened, this person picked the P-90 Sean and Greeny with Throbacks correctly, but had the two 150s with the Marc Ford Tombuckers out of order. I am really impressed with those results, because how and the heck would you know the difference between the two Marc Ford Tombuckers 150 guitars.

Keep them responses coming.

Contest through Monday night, and then the results!!!

Hi Kuz!

I think you were trying to fool us.

Here's my answer: I think the sound files are in the exact same order as you listed the guitars: 1. Sean, 2. Greeny, 3. Yodder, 4. Robben.

Please PM me if I'm right or not!

Great Idea by the way. I had a lot of fun.

Thanks

Guido

Hi Kuz!

I think you were trying to fool us.

Here's my answer: I think the sound files are in the exact same order as you listed the guitars: 1. Sean, 2. Greeny, 3. Yodder, 4. Robben.

Please PM me if I'm right or not!

Great Idea by the way. I had a lot of fun.

Thanks

Guido

Sorry, no fooling yea.

I'll send you a PM with the correct answers.

Nice playing!

I haven't looked @ what anyone else said, or if the results are in; Here's my take:

2 & 3 are the Tom Short pickups - sound real similar

1 is P90s (I thought this was Throbaks after listening 1/2 way through) This clip really sounds like an old guitar to me, and as well as the response to your pick attack.

4 is the Throbaks.

I like the tone of #1 the best.

But, it's almost impossible to tell between a HB and a P90 from sound files.

OK time for results....

Correct order

Track #1 Yodder Blur 150 with Marc Ford Tombuckers (the darkest, not muddy but darkest 150 to my ears)

#2 GT with Marc Ford Tombuckers (least amount of low end, not thin, but very old school bluesy)

#3 GT with Lollar p-90s (what can I say Gritty, Phat on the neck, ratty Tele-ish on the bridge)

#4 Greeny Throback pups (to my ears, the class of the Humbuckers, HUGE tone that is not muddy)

This contest just validated what I heard playing live and now when the guitars are recorded.

- P-90s RULE and Greeny with the Throbaks is in another league.

- But I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. I LOVE THEM ALL!!!!

Thanks for listening/playing.

John

P.S. The "amp" is a.... Vox TONELAB LE POD modeler (I just love this Vox modeler, it is 100x more realistic than the Lin6 stuff and less expensive).... virtually modeled to a 68 Plexi and an outboard Fulltone fulldrive OD. All recorded direct to board.)

Archived