Heritage Owners Club

H 575 is the bridge free standing ?

Hfan

Hi guys, I've had my 575 for several years now, bought it new. It's mostly been in it's case due to a lack of time on my part. I changed the strings probably only once and then did them one at a time because I was afraid the wood bridge would move on me with all 6 removed. I believe the wood bridge "floats" (never had a wood bridge guitar before). Is that the case? I may have a little time to change strings and actually play it this weekend.

Would like to clean it up as well. After reading lots of old posts here, I bought Virtuoso cleaner + polish, Fret Doctor and microfiber towels and they worked wonders on an acoustic I had for 30 years and, believe it or not, never cleaned any more than doing a dry wipe down. I'm just a little worried about that 575 bridge moving on me though.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and thanks .

If you mean floating, as in if you remove the strings you can pick the bridge right off the top of the guitar, YES.

The tension of the strings on the bridge hold the bridge in place.

VERY important to measure exactly where the bridge is on the guitar (how far from the pickup, how far left or right, ect) because where the bridge is located determines your INTONATION!!! Not try to scare you off, but it is a pain to reset the intonation on an Arechtop.

One trick might be to leave both the 1st & 6st strings on, remove the other 4, clean around & under where the string were. Then put the 2,3,4,5, strings on and remove the two E strings and finish cleaning. Still be careful because if you nudge the bridge even with only a couple strings off it can move.

This is how I string my 575 when I want to clean under the strings & around the bridge.

Good luck and you will be fine.

Masking tape works great to mark the bridge position. Just use a few pieces to mark the front (neck), back (tailpiece) and both sides. You can then remove the bridge and place it back exactly where it was. The masking tape will leave no residue if you take it off right after you change the strings.

Masking tape works great to mark the bridge position. Just use a few pieces to mark the front (neck), back (tailpiece) and both sides. You can then remove the bridge and place it back exactly where it was. The masking tape will leave no residue if you take it off right after you change the strings.

I have used masking tape as well. A respected luthier told me to use the blue painter's tape because it is like half as sticky as masking tape, and he assured me the painter's tape won't harm the finish of a guitar.

Thanks for all the good advise. As I am not feeling adventurous and or very lucky today, I think I will resort to my earlier method of one string at a time and will clean her up first while the old strings are still on. My main goal is to get some playing time in on her.

I read a post a while back here that mentioned leaving a guitar sitting in a case unplayed for too long is not good for it. Something along the lines of it not "coming alive" or something similar, maybe especially with a hollow or semi hollow body. Something I never realized. Guess I should get out the 535 one of these days as well.

Thanks again.

Some great advise here... masking/ blue tape or the 1/6 method. Both good to have in mind on this type of archtop.

The Centurion has pins to anchor the bridge, but it is removable. gallery_1051_3_7225.jpg

Wow, she is beautiful, love the tailpiece and the top, never saw a Centurian before.

Hi 'Hfan' ,

The masking tape works really well,used it for years.If you're feeling brave,and you've got an electronic tuner,take all the strings off,make sure you know which is bass & treble side of the bridge base.Use Lemon oil on the fretboard.Let the wood take what it wants,wipe off the reside with kitchen / bathroom paper.If your frets are tarnished,using masking tape to shield the wood either side of the frets,use a metal polishing paste compound,like you'd use on the chrome on your car.Apply with a cloth,and polish to a shine.So,return the bridge to the approximate position it was in,string the first & sixth string,bring them both up to pitch.Hit the harmonic,and fret the note at the 12th fret.If it's sharp,the string isn't long enough,Move the bridge towards the tailpiece.Re tension,same procedure.If it's flat,strings too long.Move bridge towards the neck.when the two strings are in tune & play in tune at the 12th fret,add the other strings.If it's a tune o matic style bridge,minor adjustments can be made when all he strings are on.I usually finish off with a spray of 'Finger Ease' This is a basic skill,easy to learn,and will stand you in good stead as a player.I always check my intonation when I restring my guitars.Now,a Floyd Rose....Don't go there !

Peter Alton Green.

Archived