Heritage Owners Club

535..Good for high gain rock?

BigJim

A 535 will easily fit the bill. Heck Terrible Ted Nugent uses a Byrdland, which is a full hollow body thinline. He's been known to play some hi gain stuff from time to time.

For years, the ES style was a staple in the rock and roll arsenal. I've been watching old concerts lately and am amazed at how many semis there were. Alvin Lee and Jorma Kaukonen both used them at Woodstock. Clapton had his, Alex Leifson uses one on occasion. They were the guitar to have before the 59 LP became the rage.

I think the 535 is a GREAT guitar. They feel good and sound much better to me than recent vintage Gibbys.

Is Grohl still playing the Gibson DG-335? That guitar is a take-off on the Gibson Trini Lopez signature model. The last I knew, Heritage still had a Trini Lopez in their collection, along with a few other old Gibsons. Ted Nugent said he was inspired by Jim McCarty of the 1960's Detroit Wheels who played semi-hollow axes backing Mitch Ryder's high-powered R&B.

I like my 158 at high volume,especially since I switched from a Bigsby to a trapeze tail.

Heritage withstanding, I am a fan of Grand Funk's guitarist. He played a semi called a Musicraft Messenger

http://www.myrareguitars.com/1967-musicraf...electric-guitar

not sure if it's all aluminum or just the neck.

but its a bad-ass semi-hollow sound!

Hey Cod65,

Great link to the grand f. railrd - that guy can really sing! I forgot all about this group. Do u notice that when you listen to classic rock radio, they always play the same old tired list, where little gems like this get lost.

I see Dave Grohl playing his semi-hollow guitar, and want a Heritage equivalent. Any thoughts?

The 535 is an awesome guitar. It will rock! When you get the guitar to just the right volume you can feel the air blowing out of the f-holes.

Hey Cod65,

Great link to the grand f. railrd - that guy can really sing! I forgot all about this group. Do u notice that when you listen to classic rock radio, they always play the same old tired list, where little gems like this get lost.

so true about 'classic rock' stations. they should really make a classic rock station that is the exact opposite of the current trend, But I guess that wouldnt be a money-maker.

I like scott Shannon's 'true oldies' format for my dusties.

http://trueoldies.com/

Nothing too heavy or radically off the 'charts', but still I've been introduced to a bunch of stuff I've never heard before- or havent heard in 30-35 yrs.

woops, sorry this thread is about heavy semi-hollows.

I love Steve Howe also. I love my 575. I love my 158. I dont think theres anything they cant do, really. well maybe not Metallica. :D

An older 555 with the maple neck will sound better for hard rock than a 535 will, IMHO. When I had a 555, the first thing I did was to plug it into a high-gain setup and play a bunch of tunes from Rush's "Hemispheres." Damned if it didn't sound exactly like the record. The maple neck adds some bite and tightens up the sound. That's not as desirable for blues or jazz, but it really helps for high gain.

Archived