Heritage Owners Club

Gallien-Krueger MB series combos

So I was down at the local Sam Ash yesterday looking at a Gallien-Krueger MB series combo for my electric upright basses. They did have one. I wanted the 212 but they had a 115. I figured I could still get an idea of what the 212 would sound like from the 115, so, I gave her a shot. I used an electric bass guitar. It has been so long since I have played on of these, it took me a minute to get reaquainted. It sounded great.

Then, as I was about to leave, I had a thought. My favorite sounding jazz guitar amps are basically bass amps. So, since I wasn't gonna hurt it, I figured I'd give it a shot. I grabbed the wonderful sounding Washburn J6 they have in used (which they will never sell as they have it marked at the rediculous price of $800 and it is far from cherry... it is a player's guitar for sure.) and plugged it in. Started playing a couple of standards such as Autumn Leaves and All of Me and a couple of other tunes I have mastered the butchery of. I had to leave. I felt the credit card part of my wallet getting hot.

One of the salesmen even pooked his head into the bass room where I was to see where the guitar sound was coming from. He immediately did the RCA dog thing. No joke. haha. His head twisted and his eyebrows tweaked. haha. Anyways, he stopped for a minute and said, "I never would have thought to try that. That might be my favorite jazz sound in the store now."

Archived