Heritage Owners Club

Headstock Wings for Big Bob

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

We were discussing that these seams can look like cracks on the back of a headstock.

I don't have Big Bob's email and I can't PM pics. So y'all can join in.

post-1723-1278933963_thumb.jpg

With the number of guitars I have had with headstock or body wings, I can't say that any of them have ever looked like cracks in the headstock. I can see, thought, that if the finish cracked along this seam, how it might look as though the wing had popped off at some point or at least been stressed.

Guest mgoetting
With the number of guitars I have had with headstock or body wings, I can't say that any of them have ever looked like cracks in the headstock. I can see, thought, that if the finish cracked along this seam, how it might look as though the wing had popped off at some point or at least been stressed.

They can on photos if the glare is right.

Mark I was not referring to the wing seam. The thing I saw looked like it was running across the headstock, may have been a smudge or pet hair. here are the pics

post-1723-1277598677_thumb.jpgpost-1723-1277599103_thumb.jpg

the element in question is in both pics just above where the headstock meets the neck running across the width. any one else spot it or am I just anal..

Sorry for the small pics here is a link so you can see look at the two of the back of the headstock?

Can't tell from your pics...

My 555 has three almost indistinguishable cracks near the same place, on the neck running across on the neck side of where neck and headstock meet, it's in the finish, not the wood in my case, think it's due to my being ignorant about rapid temp changes, I let it get really cold and warmed it up too fast I guess. OOOPS! At least it still plays great.

Pic is too small for me to see. Sorry man.

Ideally, normally, the wing seams after finish sanding and paint/stain and lacquer and wet sanding and all that, the seam should be only visual and not anything you can feel if you run your finger across it. Shouldn't show as a change in surface in a glare.

Can't see it in the second pic but I can in the first. It would appear to be a stress crack in the finish at the scarf joint.

??????????? There is no scarf joint on a Heritage head stock, unless of course there was a head stock breakage. Then it would have been repaired by creating a scarf joint. Heritage, as well as other guitar builders use continuous lengths of wood from the tip of rthe head stock to the dove tail point where it attaches to the body. But, to your point, I would put a black light on the to see if there ever was a repair done at thatr point.. It does look like nitro shrinkage into a poorly done repair. But, hey, I could be wrong. . . . after all . . . . there's a first time for everything <_<

??????????? There is no scarf joint on a Heritage head stock, unless of course there was a head stock breakage. Then it would have been repaired by creating a scarf joint. Heritage, as well as other guitar builders use continuous lengths of wood from the tip of rthe head stock to the dove tail point where it attaches to the body. But, to your point, I would put a black light on the to see if there ever was a repair done at thatr point.. It does look like nitro shrinkage into a poorly done repair. But, hey, I could be wrong. . . . after all . . . . there's a first time for everything <_<

My 140 does have a scarf joint and isn't a repair. REAL common on angled head stocks.

This model and others like it may not use this joint, I just made an assumption... and the mark appeared to have a curve consistent with a stress crack at where a scarf joint would be.

After looking closer at the second pic, I think I see the mark on it. In that case, it wouldn't be consistent with a scarf joint whether a repair or original construction.

And, after looking at it, Patrick, yeah, no scarf on this model. I didn't look close enough before. Just saw what appeared to be the right curve for such a stress crack.

In real life there is no crack. Nothing.

Did you black light it? It probably is, as you say, nothing. But that's an pretty deep impression in the finish or the wood that I would want to verify one way or another with a black light. If you don't have one, you can get them for around $20 at any Home Depot. You're probably familiar with the process . . . but if not, anyone here on HOC can tell you how to do it effectively. The shape of the impression and the location would cause me concern. It's very consistent with breakage of stress fracture. Just saying . . . . . .

In real life there is no crack. Nothing.

I do believe you my friend, so clean that headstock.... We demand smutz free photos....

Just kidding, that was the mark I was seeing not the wing ...Did you get her sold?

Peace..

Guest mgoetting

The guitar auction closes in a few hours. There is bidding on it so it should be gone. We'll see.

The guitar was packed but I felt a bit concerned. So I unpacked it and put it under a bright light.

The is a tiny scratch in the nitro that is somewhere between a V and an L in shape. It is rotated counterclockwise about 30 degrees and is curvilinear.

It is not a crack. But those are some amazing eyes you guys got. In person it looks like any other of the scattered superficial scratches. It never even caught my attention.

Take a look at this one. What's with the bolted neck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The guitar auction closes in a few hours. There is bidding on it so it should be gone. We'll see.

The guitar was packed but I felt a bit concerned. So I unpacked it and put it under a bright light.

The is a tiny scratch in the nitro that is somewhere between a V and an L in shape. It is rotated counterclockwise about 30 degrees and is curvilinear.

It is not a crack. But those are some amazing eyes you guys got. In person it looks like any other of the scattered superficial scratches. It never even caught my attention.

Take a look at this one. What's with the bolted neck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Saw that in The Bay area. That is clearly another guitar although the seller says it isn't. Different finish and what appears to be a different neck joint. ...and at that same neck joint, there are two pictures of that area and one of them is not like the other.

Guest mgoetting
Saw that in The Bay area. That is clearly another guitar although the seller says it isn't. Different finish and what appears to be a different neck joint. ...and at that same neck joint, there are two pictures of that area and one of them is not like the other.

The bolting doesn't look original. I wonder if someone replaced the broken neck by bolting on another.

It's a Pete Townsend recycle maybe.

The bolting doesn't look original. I wonder if someone replaced the broken neck by bolting on another.

It's a Pete Townsend recycle maybe.

Just got this response from the seller of that Milli to my question.

You are right, I made a mistake. I posted a photo of the back of

the other guitar I'm selling which looks very similar. THERE ARE

NO SCREWS ON THE BACK OF THIS HERITAGE. I just posted a new

photo of the back of this Heritage to prove it. My apologies for

the inconvenience. It was just that one photo.

Can't tell from your pics...

My 555 has three almost indistinguishable cracks near the same place, on the neck running across on the neck side of where neck and headstock meet, it's in the finish, not the wood in my case, think it's due to my being ignorant about rapid temp changes, I let it get really cold and warmed it up too fast I guess. OOOPS! At least it still plays great.

My H-140 has a very small..(OH wait! I did knock it off a guitar stand at band practice, and bust the headstock) Nevermind..My BAD.. <_<

My 140 does have a scarf joint and isn't a repair. REAL common on angled head stocks.

This model and others like it may not use this joint, I just made an assumption... and the mark appeared to have a curve consistent with a stress crack at where a scarf joint would be.

I'm surprised your 140 has a scarf joint. None of my Heritages have one. My DeArmond Starfire does. The Guild S100 doesn't either.

I wonder if some of those scratches come from wall hangers or something like that.

Guest mgoetting
I'm surprised your 140 has a scarf joint. None of my Heritages have one. My DeArmond Starfire does. The Guild S100 doesn't either.

I wonder if some of those scratches come from wall hangers or something like that.

It is a scratch. It doesn't look like a crack and it is not on a line of stress. I don't think it's from a wall hanger because of the irregularity, but maybe.

The guitar just came last year from a premier luthier where the first five frets were replaced, the neck was adjusted and it was set up for the present strings. I believe I can spot a crack, but certainly this guy would have noticed.

Well, I'll be....

Got home and checked.... no scarf.

I was way wrong. There's a millionth time for everything, eh? I think my assumption was that there was one due to me usually seeing them on guitars.

Archived