Heritage Owners Club

So she's in the hospital ..

Mikenov

My H150CM is back at Heritage. She has a twisted neck. Spoke with Ren, he is going to talk to the guys and let me know what they want to do. Man, I wish I knew more about guitars. I would have had it back there a year ago under warranty. As it is he said he is going to see if they can cover it which is all I can ask. I bought it in Oct of 06.

I was having tuning issues on this guitar since day one. I kept bringing it back to the store I bought it. They messed with the nut a couple of times, installed locking tuners, nothing really fixed it. 15 Months later, I take it to a different tech and he sees it right away. The neck isn't straight. Probably never was. So its back at heritage now and I should know what we need to do in a couple of days. Wish me luck. 

its only wood and wood changes over time

Well... At the risk of starting an argument... If that was the case we'd all be in trouble with warped necks ???

I thought that was what the seasoning process was for, to loose the moisture and let the wood settle before use.

My concern would be that the wood was being used before it was properly seasoned.

Hopefully though it's just a one off.

It was set up in a way that I still loved the way it played. Just didn't stay in tune. It was annoying as hell. But TONE was never an issue. That think SINGS!  I can't wait to get it back.

I must say that I wish my H150 would stay in tune a little better--

Hmm.

Chico

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my H150CM at the factory on Wednesday. I got there around 8:30am and there was a group of workers having a smoke out front. They led me down the stairs to the front office/desk/ repair room. Talked with Ren and their repair tech. He told me some great stories about when G*bson used to fly him into Nashville to pick up their guitars to repair back in Kalamazoo when they first moved down there.

Anyway, Ren set me up and I played it a bit, it sounded good. Aparently they have some sort of industrial iron type device that they use to heat the wood until its pliable enough to straiten it .  The tech told me he has fixed probably 1000 necks that way and they really never come back after that.

So, I got to give it a test run that night at my weekly open jam that my band hosts. It stayed in tune and played great! Then another group came in to play and the singer/guitarist had a real nice Les Paul standard. It was weight relieved . felt like under 8lbs. It sounded good but I will tell you, the heritage sounded better. Especially the neck pickup/jazzy sounds. My guitar just had a deeper, fuller sound. I am sure it has to do with the wood and the chambers his had. Pretty cool to have my guitar back so quickly, and then get a chance to A/B it against a $2600 G*bson standard. It re-afirmed why I looked at Heritage in the first place. BTW, what do you think would have happened if I had a Les Paul with a twisted neck? Do you think I would have gotten it back in a week and gotten to talk to the repair tech? No way!

Aparently they have some sort of industrial iron type device that they use to heat the wood until its pliable enough to straiten it . 

My brother used to have one of those, perhaps he still does.  You used to be able to buy them from StewMac.  He was really into vintage banjos in the way back days and used it to straighten warped banjo necks. 

Glad your got your guitar back and that is a ok.

Glad everything turned out alright for you. That HAD to be a very stressful situation to be in. I mean, I am thinking of what I would do if it happened to me and I was told it couldn't be repaired. Obviously it would be hard to sell without a big financial loss. Of course the money you would lose could go to having the neck changed out. Either way, it would have cost some big bucks. Again glad to hear you got this resolved.

So what do you think of a guitar store that shows its rather limited knowledge of the articles it sells?

I hear these stories more often, also here on the HOC forum. A decent store inspects its instruments before they are put up for sale and if they don't, avoid them!

I don't really hold it against the store. That guitar was hung for some time. Its possible it happened on the rack. But I didn't get the impression they intentionally screwed me. I just know allot more about guitars than I did a year ago. Before this instrument I really never owned a professional grade axe nor did I need one. Now I am playing out every week and on some weekends so my needs have changed. I am in the process of learning about the instrument in a much more technical way. Thats how I have always learned. Trial and error. What ultimately led me to The Heritage was the tone I got out of that instrument. A year and a half later, yeah, I wouldn't mind a lighter axe, and the next guitar I buy will have to pass a much upgraded check list before I even consider the tone. But still, after playing about 25 gibsons and various other axes, my H150 still was the best sounded guitar I played.

Archived