Heritage Owners Club

Amp considerations....

Last night, I had to move the Vox about 15' one way and then the same 15' back. I woke up this morning with mannequin legs. I call it that when my knees stiffen due to irritation. The amp sounds great. But I won't be able to use it much cause moving it causes great joint discomfort later.

I am possibly looking to unload my Vox on someone with better knees and getting into a lighter amp.

So far, of what I have tried, the Roland Cube 80x is the front runner. Possibly one of the best toolbox amps I have ever come across.

I have also tried the Marshall Class 5. Another awesome amp. Breaks up a little to soon for my personal tastes and doesn't have the flexibility of the Cube.

Both are priced about the same at $399 retail.

Any other suggestions?

Very nice! Very pricey! haha. I rather like the idea of a $399 price tag. :thumbsup:

That's the base price for a Rotten Johnny, $399 just has a 1 in front. I traded Paul my 1988 strat, he accumulates gear, just saying his new black tooth based amps are the $h#t.

That's the base price for a Rotten Johnny, $399 just has a 1 in front. I traded Paul my 1988 strat, he accumulates gear, just saying his new black tooth based amps are the $h#t.

I am REAL fond of the Roland JC sound. How do these sit in relation to that sound? I will have to maybe venture down to Atl GC and check them out.

I am REAL fond of the Roland JC sound. How do these sit in relation to that sound? I will have to maybe venture down to Atl GC and check them out.

My referrence being as 63 ReverbrocketII and the Ef86 channel of a Ac15 as I have not pulled out my 88 Roland out of the closet in years, the JR is steller clean, unexpected in an amp made for R&R but Paul plays everything on 10. It's not just control of the tone (without the tone stack) but you hear your guitar / pickups before the amp sound. Paul was in the suite next to Goodsell but moved back home to Cumming. I should see him tomorrow and ask what he has down at the GC I don't think he made more than a handfull of RJ's or Blacktooths yet. (1/2 decent demo on TGP today from the NYC show) The Austin KTS60 came in for my RJ plus he is doing a couple of things so I won't have mine for a couple of weeks.

My referrence being as 63 ReverbrocketII and the Ef86 channel of a Ac15 as I have not pulled out my 88 Roland out of the closet in years, the JR is steller clean, unexpected in an amp made for R&R but Paul plays everything on 10. It's not just control of the tone (without the tone stack) but you hear your guitar / pickups before the amp sound. Paul was in the suite next to Goodsell but moved back home to Cumming. I should see him tomorrow and ask what he has down at the GC I don't think he made more than a handfull of RJ's or Blacktooths yet. (1/2 decent demo on TGP today from the NYC show) The Austin KTS60 came in for my RJ plus he is doing a couple of things so I won't have mine for a couple of weeks.

Fair enough. Hey, maybe I have something he wouldn't mind in a trade if I dig on it. :thumbsup:

Thanks man!

All right, I just got home from a great night out in the local redneck bar and nobody was playing a Heritage guitar, meanwhile the Bartendress poured me a very huge Crown to go with several Guinesses...to make me feel bettah...I arrived on my bicycle :thumbsup:

Hic! Hic! Hic...ah..hhh...Urp!

And now, it's stupid question time...

1) is that Vox's tone really, really, REALLY good? Honestly, dammit!

2) What is a dolly and have you been to Home Depot, Lowe's or your favorite hardware store recently to see what types are available??

3) What are ratcheting straps for?

4) Screw the kneeze, how is your back?

5) Who gives a crap, it ain't MY amp!

JK

Peace.

All right, I just got home from a great night out in the local redneck bar and nobody was playing a Heritage guitar, meanwhile the Bartendress poured me a very huge Crown to go with several Guinesses...to make me feel bettah...I arrived on my bicycle :thumbsup:

Hic! Hic! Hic...ah..hhh...Urp!

And now, it's stupid question time...

Stupid answer time!

1) is that Vox's tone really, really, REALLY good? Honestly, dammit!
It is very good. I do, however, find the Roland Cube's tone superior in my ears. The only place I fear where the Cube 80 would fall down is being heard. Even at 80 watts, through a single 12 speaker, I can see a jam with my metal buddies being an uphill battle. Granted, that's what they make extention cabinets for... but I am going for simplicity. That would probably make up about 5 percent of my jams. The rest of it could be easily accomplished with the Cube 80.

2) What is a dolly and have you been to Home Depot, Lowe's or your favorite hardware store recently to see what types are available??
Thought about that.

3) What are ratcheting straps for?
Chicks.

4) Screw the kneeze, how is your back?
Back's fine. Knees are shot to hell.

5) Who gives a crap, it ain't MY amp!
Metaphorically, isn't all of our amps?

JK

Peace.

Word.

Barry,

Don't rule out the AC15. You know you like the Vox tone, and the AC15 has that. And it's portable! A totally unverifiable internet myth perpectuated by certain music store individuals in the "know" is that Tony Bruno worked on the redesign of the CC series. Probably why they sound pretty darned good.

Well, I'll be darned. Here it is in print, at least for the Vox Night Train. But I had heard he was involved in the CCs way before the NT.

Barry,

Don't rule out the AC15. You know you like the Vox tone, and the AC15 has that. And it's portable! A totally unverifiable internet myth perpectuated by certain music store individuals in the "know" is that Tony Bruno worked on the redesign of the CC series. Probably why they sound pretty darned good.

Well, I'll be darned. Here it is in print, at least for the Vox Night Train. But I had heard he was involved in the CCs way before the NT.

I do like it. I do, however, wish I had known about the Roland Cubes before I got my Vox. The Vox is great, but if I change, I want it to be closer in clean sound to the JC or Roland Cube JC and won't likely be another Vox.

Like I said, the Roland Cube 80X is the front runner without a doubt. I played an ES137 (closest thing they had to my 575) through it and it sounded wonderful. Not to mention it does everything it's supposed to do VERY well.

Someone on here posted that the Cubes are about 90% of the top notch jazz amps. Well, I guess it depends on the ears. I am a HUGE JC120 fan but don't want the weight and am not fond of the flexibility. The Line6 amps have always just been unappealing sounding to me as live amp but wouldn't hesitate to record with them. Even if it was 90%....90% is still an A. haha. At $400... if it does all of its amps at 90%, I argue it does at least that, then it is worth several times is meager weight in gold. :fool_mini2:

I am just looking for options along those lines. I don't mind knob twidling to get what I want but I want it to go from head splitting metal to super clean jazz to biting rockabilly. :sad_mini:

The only drawback is the single 12. Which... if you elevate the combo closer to ear level, problem solved. :D

The only drawback is the single 12. Which... if you elevate the combo closer to ear level, problem solved. :)

Here's an inexpensive solution (I've got three of these myself):

RS70000

Don't pay any attention to the list price. They actually cost less then half of the list at most places

Here's an inexpensive solution (I've got three of these myself):

RS70000

Don't pay any attention to the list price. They actually cost less then half of the list at most places

Yeah, dealt with those. Work great!

I am just trying to find a lazy way to walk in with an amp in one hand and a guitar in another... and nothing else! haha.

Archived