Heritage Owners Club

Anxiously awaiting delivery!

t0aj15

Sunday I ordered a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra, UPS tracking says it will be here wednesday. I hate the wait.

My plan is to then liquidate all my other amps & almost all my cabs.

The thought of having over 70 world class amps and god only knows how many world class efx is a bit daunting but I think I'll manage to struggle through the initial shock.

Congrats! I have heard NOTHING but GREAT things about this modeler. I have heard this amp absolutely change the mind of people that absolutely hate modelers.

I wish there was some place I could try one.

They are paired up with Atomic Amps if you need to amplify it. :thumbsup: Top notch modeling amplification.

Yeah there are some VERY big names now using the Axe-Fx. IMO that fact alone says a whole lot about the quality & sound of the unit.

I don't plan on going the Atomic amp route though. Instead I'll be using it with an ART-SLA2 poweramp & a pair of Mesa Thiele 1/12" cabs loaded with EVM-12L speakers. At least that's the plan to start with, who knows where it will go from there.

Got a couple of buddies (live out of state from me) who own them and they can't stop gushing over it.

The only thing that would keep me from getting this amp is the complexity. I know it isn't too bad, but I have just gotten away from Line6 and the type.

If I could find one I liked, I'd get an amp with a pre-gain, tone knob and master volume. Nothing else. haha. I know. I have gotten sad. Just want my guitar in one hand and an easily carried amp in the other.

I've thought often about this one. It does get rave reviews and has attracted the attention of a lot of big name artists. I just wish it had a more amp like interface. Let us know when it arrives and what you think.

I've thought often about this one. It does get rave reviews and has attracted the attention of a lot of big name artists. I just wish it had a more amp like interface. Let us know when it arrives and what you think.

DUDE! I have the Axe FX Standard (since 09-09) You are going to be IN LOVE! It is righteous!...I use 2 Carvin LM12A Powered PA spkrs for cabs (using XLR cables) UNBELIEVABLE! Congrats!!!!

I was interested if the OP has compared an "11 Rack" to the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra. I know the Axe-Fx has many more tweaking possibilities, but are the 11 racks twelve amps just as good as Ave-Fx but without the tweaking flexibilities?

I am using a Vox Tonelab Le which I find 400x better sound than the line 6 stuff. If for $899 the 11 rack is a step up from the Tonelab, yet not $1900 like the Axe-Fx Ultra, that might be the way for me to go in my small studio.

I can't find out where to try a Axe-FX and really don't want to pay that much for a studio "amp". Plus I haven't played an 11 rack yet at Guitar Center.

Any advice on "just the tone" comparisons of the Axe-FX vs 11 rack for a simple studio (not live) would be appreciated.

I was interested if the OP has compared an "11 Rack" to the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra. I know the Axe-Fx has many more tweaking possibilities, but are the 11 racks twelve amps just as good as Ave-Fx but without the tweaking flexibilities?

I am using a Vox Tonelab Le which I find 400x better sound than the line 6 stuff. If for $899 the 11 rack is a step up from the Tonelab, yet not $1900 like the Axe-Fx Ultra, that might be the way for me to go in my small studio.

I can't find out where to try a Axe-FX and really don't want to pay that much for a studio "amp". Plus I haven't played an 11 rack yet at Guitar Center.

Any advice on "just the tone" comparisons of the Axe-FX vs 11 rack for a simple studio (not live) would be appreciated.

You can get the Standard for $ 1499.00 Also, you can take it alone and send to FOB...or you can use with Power Amp, or with just cabs ...then I think you lose some of the benefit to having cab sims...go to YT and look up Mark Day from sam hill band...or go to fractal audio's website and look at the various artists and find him- his YT vids are awesome...esp if you play that type music... What I was trying to achieve is a Full Range/Flat Response when using AXE FX...( I realize I get some color, but not like if I used a particular head or cab)...that way IMHO you get a better use out of the Axe Fx and your individual guitar (and pups)...I bought mine as a result of Mark Day, Peter Auschbach and this guy from Belgium (goes by Jaeger on YT and by Hunter on some other forums) vids...man am I pleased...it is also how I learned about Bare Knuckle Pickups ( I just bought my 5th set today)...(but that's another story)... Rock On Dudes and have Fun... Mark

Thanks for the input, but I still would like a tone report for an 11 rack vs Axe-Fx straight into a Boss 16 track for recording (I don't my computer at all and wouldn't use either unit live).

Just trying to get some great amp tones without mic'ing and without cranking the volume of my amps.

If I got my hands on something like this, I would really want a powered head cabinet or a powered combo type cabinet to put it in. Just hate that dragging all the crap around. haha.

Rack, cab, cases, stands... I suck that way. haha.

Maybe Atomic Amps will make a nice little 50w combo box that the Fractal drops right in. B) If they do that... I will admit to taking a REAL serious look at it.

I found that modelers can have nice tone if tweaked properly, but they lack the dynamics of a good tube amp. You can't lower the volume on the guitar to clean it up and raise it to raise some hair, you have to create different presets for clean and dirt. While they can can be fun to play around with I'll stick with old fashioned tube amps.

I found that modelers can have nice tone if tweaked properly, but they lack the dynamics of a good tube amp. You can't lower the volume on the guitar to clean it up and raise it to raise some hair, you have to create different presets for clean and dirt. While they can can be fun to play around with I'll stick with old fashioned tube amps.

Try the Vox ToneLab LE... it has a 12ax7 tube to reproduce the sag from a power tube.

And yes you can go from clean to dirt with your guitars volume knob.

But ti your credit, this unit is the only one I have found that can do this.

I have not tried the 11 Rack or Axe-Fx systems yet, so I'd like to know if tonally they are an improvement.

This is the thing that make the AXE-FX stand out from the other modelers. Supposedly it does this - very well.

This is the thing that make the AXE-FX stand out from the other modelers. Supposedly it does this - very well.

From what I am hearding, and this is from tube snobs, this modeler is spot on. It isn't so much, to them, that it does a dead nuts impersonation of *pick your amp* but more that it acts like a tube amp in ways that modelers have just fallen short of to this point.

Pimp! I expect you will be taking a day off of work to prepare a full tone report. Yes?

No need to take a day off, I've been retired since I was 46, that was 12 years ago.

The Axe-Fx was delivered at 11:15 am & I had it mounted in the rack, wired up, and communicating with the Ground Control Pro midi foot controller in less then 20 minutes. So far all I've done is jump through some presets so I still have the equivalent of several college courses worth of knowledge to work through in the foreseeable future, but I will say this, I'm stunned at the level of sophistication & the depth of programming and tweaking possibilities on this unit. If your adverse to in depth programming on computer screens and other related subjects this units not for you. On the other hand I'm already quite certain that this unit is so outstanding that at my age this is probably the last amp related purchase I'll ever have to make. I can also sell off most if not all of my other amps (tube and SS) and free up a LOT of space in my house.

Archived